Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Would you recommend these??

Tags
these??
8K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Rosalind- 
#1 ·
I've been looking around for some new in-ear headphones and ran across Skullcandy's stuff. Specifically the FMJ's and Titans. Here's a link to their stuff. Sorry if the links aren't clickable; I posted this on my iPhone and don't yet know how to fix that.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/all-products/headphones.html?limit=all&headphones_type=9&order=price&dir=desc

FMJ's: http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/fmj-black.html

Titans: http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/titan-black.html

Which would you guys recommend? Do you prefer others that are in the same price range? The FMJ's have a supposed frequency response of 16-20k hz. I would be using these with my iPod.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
:rofl2: dont worry I, having the same problems in another thread with what sub(s) im thinking about getting.
Ask yourself this question, what are you going to do with them? Cause I figure in-ear buds are more of a working out or space-saver type of headphones, while the over ear are more for comforts and winding down after a hard days work headphone.
I have to say though with the skullcrusher brand with their mini subwoofers in the headphones, it gets a TON amount of bass...When I had the subs at full output at most listening volumes the headphone cups were shaking from the power. The only downside is that they take a separate power supply, and that the bass can be overpowering at times.

#5 ·
Were you able to adjust the bass coming from the sub? Or is it just all or nothing? And that's what I can't really decide on lol... I usually only use headphones in the car during trips or on an airplane, so it's like a toss up between the two. I'll probably just get the in-ear ones, but I don't want to be missing out on awesome headphones. I totally understand about picking a subwoofer. It took me forever to decide but once I did I was extremely pleased.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 · (Edited)
yes you can theirs a little dial on the cord, if you are gonna use it in the car and airplanes I would say go with the one that has the most noise cancellation, which I think it would be the in ear ones...But personally I would go with the Skullcrushers since they have a bigger diameter speaker in it, because they usually go louder, has a bigger bandwidth and it will still pretty much block about 20% noise, plus the sub helps a little:T

In ear headphones its about once tried one, thats about how much noise cancellation it will have(of course their are exceptions) and it will have a greater decaying slope on the low end(like all in ear headphones do) But it will be loud
The skullcrushers may have a bigger bandwidth and maybe louder(since a larger diameter speaker), but the in ear has greater noise cancellation and the mini-subs start to have a some distortion issues when it starts to get in the lower frequencies, and I hate the separate power supply since id always forget to change the battery:rofl:.

sorry if this didn't really help but if i was in your predicament I would choose to go with the skullcrushers :R
Either way I think you'll like your purchase

OH yeah I forgot to mention(if you didnt already know this) The in ear ones have magnets at the end of the speakers so they can stick together(if they still do this) and not get tangled in the wires

#11 ·
I've had good and bad with skullcandy as a brand. For the money they are loud, with good amount of bass.

For reference I have or had
Shure e4c
Grado Sr 80 , sr 60 , sr 125
Skull candy Inked and hrmm forgot which model these others are but they're mic'd.
Etymotic er-6
assorted Logitech plantronic, sony bleh bleh

Grado are your accurate airy headphones, not the most comfortable for 3-4 hour + listening but not a big deal. Rock, jazz, Classical, are going to sound great but the bass will not knock your socks off. its there just very accurate.

Shure boy I love these, First off with these in you hear nothing else, no plane engines no Spouse yelling at you, no lawn mower, trains, traffic etc. But these sound is live suede. luxurious, full, smooth, good bass, and effortless.
Etymotic pretty similar to shure not quiet as smooth maybe more accurate/sharper

Skullcandy These are bang for buck champs but I find the midrange kinda muddled. bass is great, like ears vibrating great but its kinda of a one trick pony, noise isolation is nowhere near the Shures,

For plane / travel Go for in ear monitors
for sitting at your desk around your home over ear.

Hope this helps you

#13 ·
Hi!
The main trick with earphones/headphones is the sound isolation from the environment.
If the isolation is very good as with the shure what you hear is what is being driven by the speaker only and will naturally sound better.
Then the design qualities will be the next factor of influence on what you hear.
Goodluck

#15 ·
I've been looking around for some new in-ear headphones and ran across Skullcandy's stuff. Specifically the FMJ's and Titans. Here's a link to their stuff. Sorry if the links aren't clickable; I posted this on my iPhone and don't yet know how to fix that.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/all-...it=all&headphones_type=9&order=price&dir=desc

FMJ's: http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/fmj-black.html

Titans: http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/titan-black.html

Which would you guys recommend? Do you prefer others that are in the same price range? The FMJ's have a supposed frequency response of 16-20k hz. I would be using these with my iPod.
Posted via Mobile Device
i do not generally recommend any products by Skullcanady. In generaly, these are prurely market based products with no real value in terms of audiophile qualities.

-Chris

#16 ·
I have a pair of Grado SR125's and I'll never get rid of them. It sucks because my foam got messed up somehow so I need to order me another set of new foams but WOW these things sound amazing!

#17 ·
Bmxer241 said:
I have a pair of Grado SR125's and I'll never get rid of them. It sucks because my foam got messed up somehow so I need to order me another set of new foams but WOW these things sound amazing!
I've listened to my Grado SR-60i's now for a while, and I'll have to say that they are amazing...I can only imagine how the 125's sound. The bass is decent, not overpowering, but the mids and highs are what made me really like these headphones. Very clear sounding, not too much treble, about enough bass to give the music a great effect...overall I like them a lot. :T

#20 · (Edited)
About a month ago, my grado's ran into some trouble. Currently suspecting the solder joint came loose on the left speaker. It cuts in and out repeatedly, very annoying when your after quality listening, lol. Contacted Grado about it, they said to send the headphones back, and it would be covered by warranty.

In the mean time, I decided to pick up some Skullcandy FMJ's just from curiosity as to how they sounded. Not too bad, definitely need an EQ when listening though. The 4kz range is much too high in my opinion, along with about 3kz as well, but not near as bad. Other than that, the bass from them is pretty good considering they're earbuds. Can pick up 20hz bass content in songs with no problem.

#22 ·
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing:D

My B-Day is next month and I'm gonna ask my wife for the AT-M50's.

#28 ·
Theresa said:
Yes me too, the Skullcandies I have are horrible.
The FMJ's that I picked up aren't too bad at all. The 4kz range is definitely too high for me, but a little EQ makes these things sound golden. There's a screenshot of the iPhone app (it's called EQu) that I use to EQ them. I'm not sure how it will show up for you guys, but on my phone it's very zoomed in. I'll upload it through photobucket instead.

Here's the photobucket upload:

Seems like I can't edit the old picture out from my phone.

Attachments

#29 ·
I've been looking around for some new in-ear headphones and ran across Skullcandy's stuff. Specifically the FMJ's and Titans…Which would you guys recommend?
Hey sub_junkie,

I own a set of Titans and for the money, they are quite good: linear and uncolored. That said, they aren't the most comfortable earphones on the market, nor do they have the accentuated bass some other products exhibit, which I consider a plus. I prefer honesty in reproduction, since I can alway EQ "to taste," rather than having my gear impose permanent EQ or color. I use my Titans as a back-up to my standard in-ear headset for travel, a pair of Klipsch X10i. If you're curious about the Klipschs, head to blogcritics and search for a posting called "Product Review: Sennheiser’s IE 7 and Klipsch’s X10i in–ear phones"

BTW, for critical listening, I have a pair of Etymotic ER6 in-ears and Audez’e LCD-2 circumaurals when I'm at home, and the Titans, at a tiny fraction of the price, hold up quite well (within their limitations) against the fancier stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.