Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just been browsing some drivers and found this little number. Anyone got any thoughts, I reckon an 8 driver version, or 2 4 driver versions would be very interesting. Ive not run a proper model yet, but it would be considerably cheaper than say using AV10-X drivers from AE for example.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ive just been browsing some drivers and found this little number. Anyone got any thoughts, I reckon an 8 driver version, or 2 4 driver versions would be very interesting. Ive not run a proper model yet, but it would be considerably cheaper than say using AV10-X drivers from AE for example.
Would be an interesting project, but that's a lot of subs to run together. Most I'd steer clear of the idea, but for you I think you'd probably enjoy the build for the sake of building it.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I get flush enough, I will go for it one day I think. The 6 10" drivers have more displacement than an 18" driver and more than some twin 15's, so the results should be pretty interesting. I'm going to run a sim tomorrow (when I can be bothered to input the TSP's), and ponder the results. With 500 watts a driver on offer though, getting the right power might be critical.

This one would be twice the price and looks much better, but with all the 10's on offer, its difficult to differentiate without direct product knowledge. The cheaper drivers may be the best for experimenting with I think.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I am curious to know what and how you would power it, also wire it. I think it's an awesome idea and way cheaper then the sub2.:T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well with a driver for example that is a 4 ohm driver, 6 drivers so 2 sets of three, each set of 3 series wired should give 12 ohms, and you could then parallel wire those to give 6 Ohms. With 8 drivers you could end up with an 8 om load and bridge an ep4000 in to get full power from that amp. In theory 4KW peak, 2KW nominal, which is perfect for those drivers.

Its all off the top of my head at the minute though

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sub 2 has claimed output of 106dB at 20Hz, and 120dB at 60Hz from from 6 drivers in a 24 1/3"H x 22 7/8"W x 21 1/8"D hexagon box. It would be interesting to see how 6 HiVi drivers model.
Especially as the sub 2 retails at 7k over here, and I could build this replica for 1k. If its only half as good you quids in. If you tried to port it, it would be insane :D, although thats defeating the object of a high performance compact sub. The project would be different though :neener:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
If you model it with the Alpine type X 12" with 3 drivers and a crown XLS802 on each sub i will build it and they will come. ( the law that is), Seriously though this is one build that if you do the math (which you guys always do anyhow) then i will build it.:T The reason i say the Alpine sub is that i've allready got 1 so 2 more could squeeze into the budget (just don't tell my wife):devil:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I've got 2 more Apine's and 3 more XLS802's in my shopping cart let me know when to pull the trigger.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I know the Alpine's and the amps would cost twice that but for fun could we see if it would even be worth it. I'm stoked on trying somthing different and with this you guys turned on a light.:yikes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
on the sub2 does each sub have its own cab?
when is it okay for subs to share the same cabs? ive seen a few builds that share the cabin on this forum

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
on the sub2 does each sub have its own cab?
when is it okay for subs to share the same cabs? ive seen a few builds that share the cabin on this forum
Yes, they do share the same cabinet that is how they get the vibration cancelling thing happening (Like the dual opposed sub thread). When it is ok to share the same space is going to take someone to answer the question that is much more knowledgeable then me.:T

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Three 12" Alpine's would take 1500 watts to reach Xmax in a 9.6 cu.ft. box.
Sorry for the what if questions here.
Would a smaller box be possible and still reach obnoxious volumes if one were to add more power or is this design just not feasable with the alpines unless one were to build a large box?:scratch: Thanks, Bambino.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I modeled 6 CSS SDX10's in about the same size cabinet of the Paradigm, with a EP4000 for power they would exceed the claimed output of a Sub 2. Subs and amp would be under $1200.

View attachment 23498
I modelled the HiVi drivers, and they too exceed the stated performance of the sub2. 10db more at 20hz isnt to be sniffed at :D

I'm going to model the Seas driver later as well, but I am also wandering how the more expensive Dayton Titanic 10" woofer would perform. Bambino, the Alpine will give good results, but they will need a larger cab and wont outperform the 6x10 configuration I am looking at. IMO, sealed designs give the very best result, but need multiple drivers with lots of power, with the Alpine you can hit those criteria and produce what would probably be a very good sealed sub.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 172 Posts