Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I’m having a problem with the Adcom GFA-555II amp that I’ve use for my subwoofers for 14-15 years (bought it used, so I'm sure it's at least 20 years old). It's been a great amp and has always run cool as a cucumber, but recently I noticed that the left channel is blazing hot. I suspect that it whatever the problem is started after an electrical transformer blew up a couple of months ago (on a light pole a couple of doors down, the one that services our house). (I’ve been having other problems with my system since then I’ve yet to fully resolve, but that’s a thread for another day.)

Thinking perhaps the sub driver connected to that channel had also been damaged, I unplugged it, as will as the line input. No change – that channel still gets hot as blue blazes. It still works, though – I’ve reconnected the driver and stuck a fan behind the amp to help cool things down, but obviously something needs to be done.

At this point I’m debating whether to have the amp repaired, or just retire it. I could easily replace it with something comparable or better for no more than $300 (used), so obviously I’m not willing to dump a ton of money into it. I’m also concerned about the long term prospects – i.e., I don’t won’t to spend $150-200 on a repair, only to have it bite the dust again in a few years with something else related to this incident. It would be more economical long term to cut my losses now.

So – any idea on the prospects of repairing this amp, and maybe a ballpark figure on what it might cost?

Oh, another issue: I have some quality of service concerns as well in the event of a local repair. Here in Houston the old-styled hi-fi shops that had in-house service departments have all closed down, leaving nothing but generic TV shops for just about any kind of electronics repairs (as far as I can tell at least – it’s a big town). Indeed, the only two listed on Adcom’s web site as “authorized” service centers are TV shops. One of them I’ve had bad experiences with in the past and have absolutely no confidence in them.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be a leaky output or driver or an open resistor. I'd open it up and look for the component that is getting hot before it takes something else out.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I came across a site hosted by a guy who refurbishes Carver amplifiers, who says that an amplifier’s capacitors are consumable items that can be expected to last about 20 years, and it costs about $300 to replace them. So I’m thinking this amp isn’t worth repairing, as I can easily get something late-model for $3-400, and with double the power the Adcom has...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you are going to scrap it I'll pay for shipping to get it for parts. The original outputs that are good could be useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts