Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the convergence IC for the second time and the 7 capacitors for the first time on this unit a couple of months ago. About 3 weeks ago (been too busy to post on this), I turned on the TV in the morning and withing about 5 minutes it shut itself off and the power light began blinking green. As I was quietly trying to decide whether to kick the TV or not (within about 60 seconds) the green light stopped blinking. I thought maybe the surge protector it is connected to tripped but it had not so I figured I had nothing to lose by pressing the power button to see what would happen. Well, it turned right back on and has worked flawlessly since. My question is whether I should be looking out for anything that could create a more permanent failure. I know the green blinking light can mean a whole assortment of things and I did not get a chance to try to pull any type of error code so I don't have much to go on. The TV had gotten quite a bit of use since my last IC/capacitor replacement work and it had only been on a few minutes after having been off all night.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a good gremlin, or maybe one that loves playing jokes on you:). Kicking won't hurt anything but your foot:)

Seriously, finding the cause of an intermittent problem can be maddening! As to whether or not you will be looking at a permanent failure, likely so. But try to enjoy it while it is working without wondering if it will fail every time you turn it on. Hard to do, I know.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Maybe one or more of the caps had been sitting on a shelf too long and the dielectric took some time to re-form itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts