Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after some searching, I found this post describing exactly what I'm going through with my now six year old 55511. Last night the wife said I can't get a picture. So I reluctantly went into our extra family room to check it out. No response from the remote. Front panel is locked so I pressed system reset, nothing. Unplugged and waited a few seconds, then powered up to find the timer LED flashing for the 70 seconds. No dice. I left it unplugged for the night and now the LED flashing is continuous. Ironically, since it's the extra room over the garage I have the thermostat set at 50 for most times. I don't know if low temp is a factor, but it's been in there for a few years now. When I plug it in, you can hear something energizing inside, but not sure what it is.

I have the service manual, but I haven't had time to dig into it yet. I replaced the convergence IC on my 55809 a couple years ago so I'm comfortable digging around. From my research, the DM board appears to have 7 caps on it. Not sure about the "four".

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your post was moved to a new thread to keep the forum better organized. There is also no model number WD55511 so I assume you mean WS55511.

If you have a continuous flashing of the LED, start by replacing the caps in the DM supply. You will likely find them to be swollen. The DM boards that have a separate power supply board have 7 caps, the ones with the suply on the DM itself have 4 caps.

What you hear is the main power supply running. The flashing LED indicates that the main microprocessor is not completing communication with the DM micro. Usually this is due to the problem with the caps in the DM power supply, but can be other problems on the DM.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After replacing the 7 caps and waiting it finally turns on.

I don't think I stated WD in my post, just the numbers. It might have been the other guy in the other post.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You should always give the details on YOUR set and start a new thread when asking a question. It keeps the forum more useful to others doing research and assures that you get the right info. I corrected both threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts