Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a minor issue with my Mitsu WS-55807. I have it connected to a digital tuner via coax and an HTPC via component breakout cable. Regardless of what device I am using or how the image is formatted, when I have the TV set to "Normal" mode, the image will extend slightly off the left and right side of the screen. I am watching a football game and at the lower left side I can see the down counter. What I should be seeing is "1st & 10." Instead I am seeing only "& 10" with the "1st" being cut off the left side of the screen. The same amount is being cut off of the right side of the screen as well.

I tried messing with the settings on both the TV and my Tuner but I am unable to bring the image into the bounds of the screen size. I can force it by setting the TV to "Narrow" which then will squish the image into the center 2/3rd's of the screen and place a pair of grey bars on both sides of the picture. However, the picture still extends off the viewable area.

Now, I have always had this issue when I am using my HTPC and thought it was simply just a timing issue. I've tried slowly reducing the video card timings using software called Powerstrip. The closer I get to fitting the image into the TV screen, the more and more messed the image will become until eventually, just before the picture would have fit within the bounds of the TV screen, the image will go out of sync and the TV will drop the signal entirely, switching to a solid blue picture.

The summary: No matter what I try, no matter what device I am using or the settings I use, I am losing about 1/2 of an inch off the image on my TV from the left and right side.

Any ideas?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You are seeing normal overscan for a CRT based set. There are ways of dealing with it to reduce it, but will require lots of work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts