Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun to have an intermittant problem with my 65" RPTV.

The issue is one of blue halos and blue 'smearing' to the right. When the problem happens, the screen will flash and jump a little, then go away. Strangely, it does not happen all of the time.

Movie inputs from the DVD or direct TV feeds seem to lead to the issue after the set is warmed up. However, sports feeds (sunday ticket, local hi def, non hi-def soccer) do not cause the issue after hours of display time.

I have all sources fed into the 1080i component input of the TV through a switch box. I have isolated sources/cables directly to the 1080i input to rule out the switchbox, but I have not yet tried to make the problem occur on the 480p inputs.

convergence seems to be functioning properly

Any thoughts?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So you are upconverting everything in the sat box to 1080i?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. The direct TV box is set to 1080i. The second source is a neodigits dvd (H4000) that will upconvert to 1080i over component. I will try to test out the other TV inputs and get a photo of the issue.

I thought it was a heat/HD issue, but the TV was on all day yesterday and there were no issues with the night football game. DVDs and movies seem to trigger the issue. Odd.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Try setting the box to output 480p and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK new info. same issues in 480P and I have some photos of the 'blue streaks and the same intermittant symptoms. Sometimes the set would be perfect for a week or so sometimes it would have all types of problems. Movies seem to make the issue appear quicker.

However I don't think it matters anymore. TV is dead. When i power on, the green power light illuminates for a couple of seconds, then there is a click and the light goes off.

Any new thoughts?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The set is shutting down to protect from more damage. Press MENU and INPUT (or device if that is how yours is labelled) simultaneously for 5 seconds and read the two digit flashing code on the LED. It will repeat a few times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,

I was nervous enough about the problem that I located a professional. He was sure that it was the convergence chip and came out last night, checked the pico fuses to confirm the diagnosis, then changed out the convergence chip (He said my model only had one). The set is up and running as good as ever and he even did a quick calibration. Overall I am very happy. He took just over 2 hours and it cost $240. I would recommend him to anyone in southern california.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Tell him to come to Home Theater Shack and enter his company in our vendor listings. We have the ability to sort by location and a basic listing is free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts