Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in Computers all my life, just haven't done a lot in TV repair beyond some minor alignments etc. I got the Service manual from one of the links here and have been reading it. Here is the issue. In both standard and HD mode, my picture on the screen is to wide and to tall. I thought is was going to be as easy as finding the Horizontal and Vertical deflection Pot and tweaking it back about a half turn, but noooooo.... in looking over the documentation, it looks like all vert and horiz adjustments are made by manipulating values using the Circuit Adjustment Mode. The steps to get in there are straight forward enough, but I am not really sure which specific registers need adjusting. If I look at the tables in the manual, I believe that I need to use the items on the Jungle (JNGL) function table and should be able to use item 1 (HWID) and Item 7 (VHGT). I may need to also tweak 14 and 20 which is the H and V Pos registers also. Data ranges are all 0-63 on most with the exception of a few that are 0-15. It looks like factory Presets are midline on all if they are still in factory preset condition.

The first question I have after that long preamble is: Once I am in the Jungle register. In order to shrink the picture vertically down and up and horizontally inward, do I simply need to reduce or increase the value currently in the register for both the 1080I and 480I modes.

Beyond this, once this is done, I should be able to use the convergence crosshatch and tweak any that are now out of line.

Please advise me if I am ontrack here. I had a "service tech" out about 3 months ago and he told me he was going to have to charge me about 4 hours labor to simply change the values, however, I suspect it was more of a case of he didn't have the manual and know which ones needed changing. Please advise.... Thanks in advance.

Al

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Before adjusting anything, you should be asking why the image has expanded. Is it in a zoom mode in either the set or a source, or has something failed in the set that has caused this. Typically something that would cause a deflection issue that expanded the pix would also cause some focus and convergence error. A problem in the memory or convergence settings would also cause convergence error but not focus error (at least not severe focus issues).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts