Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a non-techical person and I came across this website via a google search when trying to determine what may be wrong with my TV. I have a WT-46805 and it recently started having problems. I'll describe the order of events since it will hopefully help in diagnosing the issue. When watching a movie with my kids recently, we noticed that the picture looked pretty bad...particularly near the edges of the screen. I manually adjusted the blue and red convergance which I noticed took quite a bit of adjusting. That helped with the picture quality, but the edges were still bad. I just figured the set was getting old. Then a week or so later, my son told me that the TV just turned off one day while he was playing a video game. When we tried to turn the set back on, the green light on the power button would light, but then it would go back out right away and the TV never powered up (no TV picture ever came up). I tried again periodically over the next couple weeks, but I always got the same result. A couple days ago, I tried again and this time the TV stayed on, but the picture was all scrambled and not viewable. Since I'm not really in a position to replace this TV right now, I was hoping that I may be able to repair this TV myself (wishful thinking perhaps). Having never used a forum like this before, I'm hoping that someone may be able to help.

Thank you for reading this. :help:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What does "scrambled" mean. More severe convergence problems or something else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I haven't done that yet....I will plan to open up the back of the set and see what I find. Yes, this is a rear projection TV.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the vague term....I think the "scrambled" I was referring may be a more severe convergence problem. If I recall, it looked like what an old TV might look like when the horizontal and vertical holds have been messed with (i.e. the picture looked twisted/bent). Oddly, when I went to check the picture again last night, the picture wasn't scrambled....I could view the picture, however, the picture is still bad, particularly on the right and left edges of the screen. I also looked inside the back of the TV yesterday and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I didn't really know what I was looking for, but I didn't see any leaks. It appears that a part must be faulty since at first the set wouldn't turn on, then the picture was skewed, then it worked again yesterday(although the picture is bad). Someone I spoke with at a local repair shop mentioned something about a convergence circuit. But given the age of the set, I wasn't really interested in spending about $400 (estimate) for him to fix it.

Thanks again.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the pix looked like horizontal hold and/or vertical hold was off, you had a sync problem. Convergence will affect geometry and relative alignment of the three colors, and parts of the pix may be skewed some, but you should still see the image.

Look here for convergence repair info:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for.../5600-crt-based-rptv-convergence-repairs.html

Coolant on the board is real possibility if you had sync problems, or perhaps a problem with bad capacitors on the low voltage regulators or secondary of the main supply. Look carefully on the front of the green signal board, on the side closer to the center of the set for a few drops of coolant and look at the corners of the CRT frame for drips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts