Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got some NHT M-60s from Jack Hidley a while back and am only now getting around to building the crossovers for them. The speakers were originally all-active, but Jack Hidley designed a passive crossover for them, which is what I will be using.

This is a build thread for the crossover boxes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The basic box dimensions have been determined and at this point, I am experimenting with some scrap pieces to get a sense of proportion for the decorative touches.

A few leaves of Curly Maple.

Cut some veneer.

Waxed Paper prevents pieces sticking together if there is any glue bleed-through during clamping.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Making a marking template for the leg shape.

Marking template is ready for action.

Leg is marked and ready to shape.

Trim some waste.

Shape.

Smooth.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measure both diagonals and if there is any difference between the two measurements, your box is not square. You can square it up by applying a small amount of clamping force on the high measurement diagonal. Do this in increments until both diagonal measurements are the same. Now your box is square.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To prevent a tear-out problem while routing an edge profile--

1) Route across the end-grain first, then do the sides, and...

2) Clamp some scrap on the exit side while routing across the end grain.

Mahogany.

Stained and one coat of Shellac (so far).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Awesome craftsmanship! :T Your crossovers are definitely going to be riding in style with those boxes! In your final photo, is that the top? Will the routered edge be facing down?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Yes, those are the tops. The flat side will be down. I tried it the other way, but I didn't like the way it looked, so I trimmed a little off in both dimensions and re-routed the profiles on those two edges and I'll flip the top so the routed edges face upward.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Wow, I mean really WOW!

I really like the whole thing but the legs are the added touch that really sets them off. That design would make great humidors as well, who wouldn't want to have those prominently displayed in there home.

Your an excellent designer and craftsman, you have a real gift.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's awfully kind of you to say so.
Hmmm...Crossovers disguised as humidors. Why didn't I think of that!
Thanks again for the kind words, Mike.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess this thread is too old for me to edit a post, but I wanted to correct myself in my first post--the M-60s are still available from NHT. I apologize for the error.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts