Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'd really be interested to see what you come up with, especially if you build out an upgraded crossover then have both measurements and listening comparisons. I have never heard the stock crossover. I built my X-LS Encores up with the fully upgraded crossovers.
The measurements are the same. The difference is in the resolution and detail levels. The higher quality crossovers also offer a cleaner presentation with less smearing and more space between the notes.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am tempted to build another pair with the upgraded parts just to compare. I can always sell them or pass them on to a family member in need of speakers.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
BTW, my old Thiel 04s hold up pretty well. In terms of imaging, maybe better in some areas. I tink I like the upper midrange better on the Encore and the frequency response overall seems to be smoother in the Encore. Thirty years later, with the original drivers other than the passive radiators which were replaced, this early effort from the late Jim Thiel and his brother Tom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Danny -

A long shot for sure but wanted to bump this and see if any of the X-Statik components still exist (do you have anything)?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really appreciate the heads up Mike. I followed all of the original X-Statik development info back on AV123 years ago and always loved the open baffle design. I recently stumbled on someone with a set and it peaked my interested again. Danny does some absolutely fantastic work developing these systems.....

I'd love to build a set up - either that or some OB-5's....

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
69 Posts
Eric,

Danny also has a new OB design out called the LGK Wedge (or Wedgie as some people call it).

The Wedge itself is the top part of a full range speaker covering 250Hz and up. It needs to be mated with bass units (preferably OB bass) that will cover the bottom octaves.

Danny's 8 inch and 12 inch direct servo drivers work well for this. They can be built into H-frames that can double as stands for the Wedges yielding OB speakers that play flat down to 20Hz.

Danny is currently working on a wedge shapped bass unit using three of the 8 inch servo drivers that will match the LGK Wedgie.

I built a pair of the Swedgies and love them.

Mile

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mike -

Very interesting... I'll have to see if I can dig up some more information on those.

Are you still running your N3 towers? How are you liking those?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mike -

Very interesting... I'll have to see if I can dig up some more information on those.

Are you still running your N3 towers? How are you liking those?
Eric,

You will find an in-depth discussion of the LGK Wedgie here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126112.0

The N3s are alive and well in my living room, which my wife informed me was her system and those speakers would remain in her system thank you very much :eek: (WAF indeed).

Since my wife commandeered the N3s, I needed another set of speakers for my man cave. I got to hear OB speakers at the Lone Star Audio Fest last year and liked the sound so I was looking at the OB7s when the Wedgies became available.

My personal preference is now OB when the room layout will allow them and N3s when OB won't work. The way my living room is set up, OB speakers won't work. I can't get them far enough off the front wall so the N3s are perfect here.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for x-statik upgraded crossovers but I cant afford to spend even close to that much. Pleas let me know if/when you have a blowout sale or just want them out of your inventory. If the x-voce has an upgrade, I'l be interested as well.

I own mostly av123 speakers. and a mfw15 with a version 1 and 2 dead amps.

Rs1000
Rs850 sig
Rs450
RSC200

xl-s
x-statik
x-voce

21 - 31 of 31 Posts