Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello HTS.

I'm new to posting on the forum so please excuse if I post in the wrong spot, etc.

I have a Denon X4100W and am currently using three HDMI input sources: Verizon Fios DVR, Apple TV and a PS4.

I have noticed that when playing the Apple TV, the sound is crisp, clean and loud relative to the Fios box and PS4. ON Fios or the PS4, I have to turn the volume up quite a bit to get an equivalent output to the Apple RV. I've tried swapping HDMI cables and the such to no avail and realized that if I plugged the PS4 into the HDMi port I'm using for the Apple TV (HDMI 5), it sounds way better, just like the Apple TV normally does.

I'm wondering if there is an issue with the Receiver's HDMI inputs?

I'm at a loss here so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Different devices output different levels.
Some devices and maybe some AVRs have trim to adjust source levels.
Check the setup menus to see what's available.
Each device will also output different digital formats which can be at different levels.
Depending on your preference you could try setting the audio output format (bitstream/PCM) of all devices the same and see if that helps.
My FIOS DVR sound quality is pathetic compared to a ROKU box which is pathetic compared to the BD player with DVDs which are not as good as blurays.
The PS3 has excellent sound quality if playing a game, DVD, or BD. Not so much using one of the streaming services.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

The issue I'm having is that the sound is way low in different hdmi inputs with the same device. When I connect the fios box to the hdmi input the apple tv was on, the sound level is much higher than when i connect it to the cable hdmi out. same goes for the ps4. any input device connected to hdmi 5 seems to sound great, but when connected to any other hdmi port, the sound is almost inaudible unless you crank it all the way up. could it be there's a problem with the AVR?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I certainly didn't understand what I read in your initial post, sorry I missed the real issue.
If one HDMI seems to be working normally with all the sources and the rest are essentially muted, the AVR is broken.
You might try a factory reset and see if it fixes the problem, but I don't expect that to be successful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Turns out the issue was that I had dynamic volume turned one for one source and not for the others, which explained the significant difference in volume levels.

Don't even remember turning it one for one and not the others but at least it's now consistent for all sources. And yes, Verizon Fios sounds is just bad........

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I am glad it turned out to be an easy fix.
My Pioneer AVR remembers unique setting for lots of different parameters for each input.
A random button push picking up the remote has changed a setting or two on occasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts