Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at IR Extenders & admittly know next to nothing about them. I found a Xantech DL 85K Dinky Link IR Receiver on Amazon for $118.00. Does anyone have an opinion on this brand? I will be using it on a Plasma tv (LG) controling my cable box(comcast) blue ray & av receiver. Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
There is a very good chance that the plasma TV will cause interference with the Xantec IR kit. The "symptoms" will be that the red light on the link stays on, indicating that the plasma is emitting light in the same frequency range to be picked up by the Xantec. As a result almost nothing will work via the extender since it was being flooded by "noise" from the TV.

I went thru several Xantec kits, including the LCD proof ones, trying to remote control DirecTV DVRs and a DVD changer from another room. Always the same results. By the way, Xantec IR also picks up light from CFL bulbs, with the same effect - flooding with noise that causes the kit to not work.

I never paid the $$s for the Xantec plasma proof kits to see if they work. Perhaps another member has and can share their experiences.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for this. I've been wondering about some IR repeaters for a bit but haven't done a whole lot of research. Where my wife likes to sit makes it hard for the receiver to pick up the remote signal. Happy wife = happy life LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts