Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a xbox one as my home theater Blu Ray player and media hub netflix , Amazon HBO go .

Is their another Blu rAy player capable of streaming HBO go ?

Am I sacrificing picture and surround sound quality ?

Any Inexpensive Blu Ray player recommendations with good video and audio appreciated .

I tried a sony s6200 Blu Ray player , the remote didn't work unless you were pointing it right at the Blu ray player and the remote buttons had a cheap feel . Streaming wasn't friendly and my Roku and xbox one provided a better picture quality . Audio , not sure .

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Your XBoxOne makes a great media player. There's no reason for you to look elsewhere. Do you find it lacking for something? It should do everything you need.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seemed like my samsung Blu Ray player I was using before the Xboxone had a better picture . Surround I think was about the same .

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
It seemed like my samsung Blu Ray player I was using before the Xboxone had a better picture . Surround I think was about the same .
Are you sure it's not just a settings issue? If both are setup the same you probably aren't going to notice a difference. Have you done any research on optimum settings for video quality? My PS4 needed a little tweaking to match the PS3 in picture quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Xbox bd player is very good and faster with apps for streaming than most bd players. I would keep using it until it's time to upgrade to a 4k bd player. Sound is only being sacrificed if you don't have a decent 5.1 setup to hear it properly... otherwise you're good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use my Xbone as a media center and bluray and it works great. I calibrated my screen with the Disney WOW discs and now I have very little difference in picture when I switch from my xbone to apple tv to my pc.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
All decent Bluray players (not the $50 no name brands) will have the same audio and video quality, where they start to differ is with upconversion of DVDs and other media that is not 1080p.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I think load times go down on better units and remotes are usually better. Gui, and menu navigation can also be rough on entry level units.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
PS3

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
What are you saying ( and what language are you saying it in )? Sent from my iPad using HTShack
lolol! Not really sure what language I'm in. I thought Ron was voicing his allegiance to PS3. I was just sharing my enthusiasm. Probably turned the train into a subway. Lol

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
lolol! Not really sure what language I'm in. I thought Ron was voicing his allegiance to PS3. I was just sharing my enthusiasm. Probably turned the train into a subway. Lol
Yup I was saying to just use a PS3.:T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I have no experience with any of the Microsoft gaming consoles but I still think the XBoxOne should provide a good multimedia experience. Agree with all touting the PS3 as a fantastic Blu-Ray player! The only improvement I gained with the PS4 is load times. Other than that I actually preferred the PS3 if for nothing else the cover art when I threw in a movie. I know that is probably trivial to most since you only see it briefly before hitting play but I have some OCD issues. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Standalone blu3 ray players are a better choice IMO. It wears down disc drive more on consoles when you use them for movies. I stopped playing on my ps3 for this reason, but xbox1 are probably more durable.

I say go ahead, but might shorten console lifespan. If u are a big movie fan like me, and watch endless movies.
If u only watch a few movies a week your good.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Standalone blu3 ray players are a better choice IMO. It wears down disc drive more on consoles when you use them for movies. I stopped playing on my ps3 for this reason, but xbox1 are probably more durable.

I say go ahead, but might shorten console lifespan. If u are a big movie fan like me, and watch endless movies.
If u only watch a few movies a week your good.
I rip all my movies, and cds to my HDD to preserve my discs. :T

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have no experience with any of the Microsoft gaming consoles but I still think the XBoxOne should provide a good multimedia experience. Agree with all touting the PS3 as a fantastic Blu-Ray player! The only improvement I gained with the PS4 is load times. Other than that I actually preferred the PS3 if for nothing else the cover art when I threw in a movie. I know that is probably trivial to most since you only see it briefly before hitting play but I have some OCD issues. :)
I rip all my movies, and cds to my HDD to preserve my discs. :T
Can u do this with bluerays??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts