Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

XENYX 502 vs XENYX 802

Tags
xenyx
12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the necessary components to begin measuring my system and saw that the recommended mic preamp is the XENYX 802. I was browsing Behringer's website and came across the XENYX 502 which appears to be able to do the things we need. The price is also $15 less. Is there any reason that the 802 is specifically recommended over the 502? Is it because of the highlighted text below in the 802's description?

XENYX 502

Premium 5-Input 2-Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and British EQ

- Premium ultra low-noise, high headroom analog mixer
- State-of-the-art XENYX Mic Preamp comparable to stand-alone boutique preamps
- Neo-classic "British" 2-band EQ for warm and musical sound
- Main mix, stereo CD/tape plus separate headphone outputs
- CD/tape inputs assignable to headphone output or main mix outputs
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

XENYX 802

Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamps and British EQs

- Premium ultra low-noise, high headroom analog mixer
- 2 state-of-the-art XENYX Mic Preamps comparable to stand-alone boutique preamps
- Neo-classic "British" 3-band EQs for warm and musical sound
- 1 post fader FX send per channel for external FX devices
- 1 stereo aux return for FX applications or as separate stereo input
- Main mix outputs plus separate control room, phones and stereo CD/tape outputs
- CD/tape inputs assignable to main mix or control room/phones outputs
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like the Main mix outputs are all that is necessary??? This is all very confusing! Haha.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Wayne,

It appears that the 502 model does indeed have +48v Phantom Power. It is on their site here just below the image of the product:

(Unfortunately I'm too new to be allowed to post links)

"And with the new addition of +48 V phantom power, the possibilities are even greater."

#9 ·
I just got a 502 and the box says it has phantom power but there's no switch for it & nothing in the manual says how to activate it.

I also checked Behringer's website and can't find any info there. I e-mailed Behringer but have not yet heard back. Meanwhile, one thing I found on the web seems to indicate that the XLR input automatically has phantom power, so I presume I just plug the mic in there and it works.

Is that right?

Thanks,

Mark

#14 ·
The switch on the other mixers turns the PP on and off; with the 502 it's always on.
I read in the manual some warning to not connect mic while is phantom power is on...
As with 502 is always on / there is no switch to turn it off/on , is that "healthy" for the mic (ecm 8000) ?

As I know lot of people uses B 502 / ecm 8000 but I'm still a bit confused with this combo...

#13 ·
I have the 502 and one problem I have with it is that I must turn the main mix volume up in order to turn up volume on the headphones (unless the signal is coming in through the CD/Tape input). I would like to be able to turn up the headphone volume for signals coming through the regular line inputs without having to turn up the main mix volume. I'm wondering the the 802 allows this? Does anyone know because I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere online. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.