Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my replacement for the balanced MiniDSP. It is quiet with absolutely zero hiss unlike the MiniDSP in my system (112db efficient horns).

I need to do this:
1: Set the crossovers to 500hz with a 24db LR crossover
2: Set the Low Pass Filter cutoff frequency to 500hz (bass bins)
3: Set the High Pass Filter cutoff frequency to 500hz (horns)
3: Set a high shelf of 12000hz with a 12db gain, and a .5Q ( horns)

This is my adjustment screen for the Left Horn

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to match my old settings to the Xilica?

tia,
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Took me a while to figure out what you were asking. It sounded like you had replaced a faulty miniDSP with another one.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to match my old settings to the Xilica?
Sure. Just set the high and low pass filters at 500 Hz with a 24 dB/octave slope, just like you mentioned you had them set with the miniDSP set. Seems painfully obvious: What am I missing? :huh:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took me a while to figure out what you were asking. It sounded like you had replaced a faulty miniDSP with another one.

Sure. Just set the high and low pass filters at 500 Hz with a 24 dB/octave slope, just like you mentioned you had them set with the miniDSP set. Seems painfully obvious: What am I missing? :huh:

Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne,
We were having difficulty figuring out how to input everything. We now have the crossovers settings input (except for the high shelf which I am thinking of just letting the Dirac handle). Problem is we are getting very very low volume, and it appears to be low voice area only. We have triple checked the wires and they are all correct. I have a feeling the channels are not linking properly...not sure how to correct it.

Here are some screen shots:

Bass bin settings..

Horn settings..

I have a feeling it is some simple setting that is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,258 Posts
Problem is we are getting very very low volume, and it appears to be low voice area only. We have triple checked the wires and they are all correct.
There should be separate output-level adjustments for the high and low pass, but I assume you know that? In any event, looking at the screen shot, that function isn’t jumping at me. Is it on another page?

As far as a shelving filter, I’d check the Q settings for PEQs 1 and 8 and see if they can be switched over to shelving.

Is the manual for this thing really so bad that a knowledgeable enthusiast such as yourself can’t figure out how to set it up?

Re the miniDSP, I’ve never heard anyone claim that it was noisy. But I just noticed that the specs don’t give a S/N ratio figure. Kinda makes you wonder. That’s critical for a high-efficiency system like yours.

Speaking of noise, are you sure your amps are up to the task? With a high-efficiency multi-way active system every piece in the signal chain is critical, and doubly so with the high freq driver. Especially for any pro-audio pieces, because they often are not as quiet as home components. You want high-quality gear with a S/N ratio given as xx dBU, and probably no less than something in the 98-100 dB range. The “U” means unweighted, which means the spec is generated with linear response, as opposed to A-weighted (e.g. xx dBA), which rolls out the highs and lows for the purposes of determining the S/N spec.

Another issue with the amps is that they might be overkill for what you need. Active systems with high-efficiency drivers don’t require much power. For instance, I once conversed with a guy running a pair of active Klipschorns and had no problem driving the highs with a 55-watt Crown amp. I’m no expert on amps, but I think you have a better change of quiet operation with lower-powered amps.

Of course, the same could be possible with a higher-powered amp run with the gains low, I’m not sure. But what’s the point of having high-powered amps if you end up with the gains barely off the bottom? That said, I’m sure the guys on the DIY Forums could advise you better.

I haven’t been following your build so my apologies if this is all old news to you... :)

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be separate output-level adjustments for the high and low pass, but I assume you know that? In any event, looking at the screen shot, that function isn’t jumping at me. Is it on another page?

As far as a shelving filter, I’d check the Q settings for PEQs 1 and 8 and see if they can be switched over to shelving.

Is the manual for this thing really so bad that a knowledgeable enthusiast such as yourself can’t figure out how to set it up?

Re the miniDSP, I’ve never heard anyone claim that it was noisy. But I just noticed that the specs don’t give a S/N ratio figure. Kinda makes you wonder. That’s critical for a high-efficiency system like yours.

Speaking of noise, are you sure your amps are up to the task? With a high-efficiency multi-way active system every piece in the signal chain is critical, and doubly so with the high freq driver. Especially for any pro-audio pieces, because they often are not as quiet as home components. You want high-quality gear with a S/N ratio given as xx dBU, and probably no less than something in the 98-100 dB range. The “U” means unweighted, which means the spec is generated with linear response, as opposed to A-weighted (e.g. xx dBA), which rolls out the highs and lows for the purposes of determining the S/N spec.

Another issue with the amps is that they might be overkill for what you need. Active systems with high-efficiency drivers don’t require much power. For instance, I once conversed with a guy running a pair of active Klipschorns and had no problem driving the highs with a 55-watt Crown amp. I’m no expert on amps, but I think you have a better change of quiet operation with lower-powered amps.

Of course, the same could be possible with a higher-powered amp run with the gains low, I’m not sure. But what’s the point of having high-powered amps if you end up with the gains barely off the bottom? That said, I’m sure the guys on the DIY Forums could advise you better.

I haven’t been following your build so my apologies if this is all old news to you... :)

Regards,
Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the response. I have a Lexicon NT-512 (Bryston 9B) for driving the horns (and side surrounds), and a Sherbourn 5/1500 for driving the bass bins (and surrounds). The Lexicon is a 100wpc amp, and the Sherbourne is 200wpc. I was running a 25wpc T chip amp on the horns and I was experiencing just a wee bit of hiss. I decided to try a higher quality balanced amp to solve the issue. I was running all Yamaha Pro 250wpc amps but I ran out of rack space, and was trying to consolidate my amps too. I was unaware of noise problems with the MiniDSP balanced too until I had the problem... I then started looking and I am not the only one with hiss problems with the balanced version. If I had stayed with the unbalanced version I would be hiss free right now. I checked my amps with the inputs removed and they are hiss free too. Today I am going to try and get the Xilica up and running without the Dirac in the picture. Once i have it running properly I will put the Dirac back in and calibrate the setup again. Last night I think I got the inputs assigned to the correct outputs, and the crossovers set, but still no audio at the correct levels. I am sure it is something simple we are either overlooking or have set wrong. If I can't get it setup today I am going to call the Manufacturer and ask for help. I might even see if someone has the same unit, and can program it for me, and send me the file to upload. This unit is supposed to be way better than the MiniDSPs, and is recommended by Danley plus it is used in the Aeries Legend speaker (a $29k speaker) so i think it will be as good as I could ever hope for. :T:T

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got the hiss gone...what I ended up doing was running XLR to RCa unbalanced cables from the Dirac to the Xilica. This made my surrounds too high so I had to flip the jumpers to off on the Dirac which lowered the output by 6db (still balanced). This will be for the time being. I will most likely sell the Lexicon, and Sherbourn and get amps that have gain controls, and that are not electricity hogs. When I am watching a movie right now it is drawing 4 amps where with the old Yamaha Pro amps it was drawing 2 amps. The amps sound great, but I think I can do as well on a more efficient amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts