Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to pull trigger on 2 x XPA-2's ... someone stop me... !!!

I plan on running them in MONO and having 2 big blocks of sound. Thought about getting the XPA1 but that starts to get very pricey.

I plan to build some Statements or Clearwave 4TSE's for the new house HT

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You're saying $1500 vs $2000 is "getting very pricey" ??

Have you considered CROWN XLS 2500 - 1500 w Mono @ 8 ohms for $559

Its a very clean amp and never gets hot ....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Funny I was just in a thread called "what's powering your Infinities" and the XPA-2 came up. I am not a fan at all. As a temporary means to save some money I used one to drive a set of Kappa 8's and the Emotiva was completely strangle held until going into shutdown protection. Had to switch to a McIntosh 2100.

I'd take the Crown mentioned above over the Emotiva any day for any application. They just don't measure up. Had the same experience with the RPA model.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny I was just in a thread called "what's powering your Infinities" and the XPA-2 came up. I am not a fan at all. As a temporary means to save some money I used one to drive a set of Kappa 8's and the Emotiva was completely strangle held until going into shutdown protection. Had to switch to a McIntosh 2100.

I'd take the Crown mentioned above over the Emotiva any day for any application. They just don't measure up. Had the same experience with the RPA model.
LOL.....okay.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're saying $1500 vs $2000 is "getting very pricey" ??

Have you considered CROWN XLS 2500 - 1500 w Mono @ 8 ohms for $559

Its a very clean amp and never gets hot ....
Im in the eclub so its an extra 10% off! But the monos are still a bit more.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Kappa 8s are not a difficult speaker to drive. Makes me wonder if something was odd with your setup. The Emotiva should have had no issues with driving them. I know of many members here who drive much tougher speakers than that with an Emotiva.

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL.....okay.
Why is amplifier performance like that funny? It freaked me out because I was worried about the speakers because they weren't mine! Have you never blown an amp or sent one into shutdown before? I find that hard to believe.
The Kappa 8s are not a difficult speaker to drive. Makes me wonder if something was odd with your setup. The Emotiva should have had no issues with driving them. I know of many members here who drive much tougher speakers than that with an Emotiva.
I was not expecting it either...maybe the 9's but not the 8's however i had no issues with a Mac, Adcom and one other I can't remember. Maybe an old Rotel?

Another odd thing I noticed is the Emotivas don't do well with temperature swings. Especially the cold. Have no idea why but they seem to struggle and be quirky in cold temperatures whereas other amps don't seem to care.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Another odd thing I noticed is the Emotivas don't do well with temperature swings. Especially the cold.
So you have used more than one Emotiva?

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you have used more than one Emotiva?
Yep the RPA-1 was the first I had ever used. Back at that time I had never heard of Emotiva. I thought the meters were cheesy beyond belief but my hopes for a bargain were pretty high. Didn't work out.

fschris was asking for reasons not to go for the XPA so I figured I'd report my not so rosey experience and have him explore other better options.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Gotta wonder where you are using the amps to subject it to "cold" temperatures? Is it not inside your house? Extreme cold can effect them to a point particularly if its around the dewpoint and you then warm it up. Condensation will damage an amp or any electronics

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is amplifier performance like that funny? It freaked me out because I was worried about the speakers because they weren't mine! Have you never blown an amp or sent one into shutdown before? I find that hard to believe.

I was not expecting it either...maybe the 9's but not the 8's however i had no issues with a Mac, Adcom and one other I can't remember. Maybe an old Rotel?

Another odd thing I noticed is the Emotivas don't do well with temperature swings. Especially the cold. Have no idea why but they seem to struggle and be quirky in cold temperatures whereas other amps don't seem to care.
I may try to find a set of these Kappas and try them out sometime with the XPA-2's and see if my results are the same. You seem to have a pretty sour overall view of emotiva. Good thing they offer a 30 day return! I also live in a house with very modern climate control ;) :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah i guess it can't hurt to give one a shot. It'll be interesting to hear your opinions vs other amps you end up auditioning. I've only had experience with Emotiva amplifiers. Never tried any of their preamps, sources, speakers, etc...so i have no opinion there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
To be fair . My #1 client has an XPA3 driving my custom built LCR in a pretty large media room.... The Emotiva has been a Champ at driving this difficult load of 4 ohm and has no trouble what so ever at acheiving a "reference" level with no clipping distortion at all ... The Crown XLS 1500's are driving the subs in this scenario and I also highly recommend them for heavy sub bass duty...

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
So what made you decide on Emotiva amplifiers for your client? Was it simply to save a buck? What other amps did you consider and pass on based on your personal experience and clients needs? What were the final factors on your decision?

I ask because it think it will help the original poster. Not sure why he choose to laugh at my misfortune but whatever.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We chose Emotiva based on power specs / performance reviews and price was a factor considering so many amps in that class are 3x the price... It has performed without fail and above our expectations.... It drives my custom builds without any problem ....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have owned 3 emotivas and currently own 2. I own the XPR-2 and the XPA-5 to run my 7.2 system. I have not had one single issue with these AMPS. Lots of clean power and I live in Illinois where weather can fluctuate and have never had an issue. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Emotiva has some awesome amps that are very well respected. I suspect issues with their amps are rare and of no higher percentage that other quality brands. Naturally there will be exceptions... it is the nature of the beast and no doubt unfortunate for some. I have owned several of the XPA units as well as the XPR. All of them have driven some very difficult speakers, including several electrostatic panels from MartinLogan (Ascent, Spire, Prodigy, Montis, Stage X) as well as others, including several in speaker evaluations... all effortlessly. Emotiva offers a good bang for the buck in a rather good looking chassis. I do like the beefier power supplies they offer, even if it may be psycho-acoustical thinking kicking in.

I have also had fifty-eleven amps in my room, which has some serious temperature swings since it is not heated/cooled 24/7 (my room has it's own HAC system too). I have never noticed any issues with any of the amps I have used from any of the brands... they have all been equally good. My main goal is to make sure I have enough power... and I at least feel better with plenty of headroom.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should get my AMPS Wednesday!! super stoked. I think the GEN2 have some nice features and just not some fluff marketing statements behind them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts