Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XTZ 95.24 Speakers, 95.33 Center, W12.18 Subwoofer

By Jim Wilson (theJman)

Quite some time ago I heard my first true ribbon tweeter and was instantly captivated. From that point on I've been hooked. The precision, detail and clarity they're capable of is unrivaled by any other high frequency transducer. When XTZ asked me to review a system featuring them I leapt at the chance, and I never regretted a single moment of my time with this setup. The 95.24 speakers are simply phenomenal, producing a level of sound quality no one should reasonably expect from something costing $560 a pair. Volume doesn't phase them, nor does the complexity of the source material - they will adroitly handle anything you can throw their way. Pair those to the matching 95.33 center and you have a setup that can easily compete with anything in its price class. Toss in a W12.18, which is XTZ's top of the line subwoofer, and you end up with a system that handles music or home theater with equal aplomb. I've spent my own money buying products from XTZ because I have yet to hear one I didn't like. The 95.24, 95.33 and W12.18 have only reinforced my opinion of XTZ; these folks make some really fine products.

For the full review Click Here

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sir,
I was really interested in this review. Since you also reviewed the ARX A1b/A2b, seemingly a very similar style of LCR's, I'd be very interested in hearing how you thought the two compared. I am currently planning on buying the A2's for my LCR's, partly because of your review and enthusiasm for them.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kinda figured someone was going to ask me that question... ;)

The Arx speakers offer an amazing amount of sound for the money, and you certainly can't go wrong with them, but for me the XTZ were better. They had just enough extra to take them to another level, but given that they cost 90% more I would certainly hope so. The XTZ's had a little better build quality as well, are a touch smaller overall and have a unique appearance. All pluses in my book.

The A1b is about the best value the discerning individual is likely to find; I'm not sure you can get a speaker that sounds better for $150. If that fits comfortably within your budget the Arx speakers are definitely worth auditioning. If you have a little more to spend then I'd say the XTZ's should be strongly considered.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry to push you on the matter, but what about the sound quality was better than the ARX, in your opinion? Did they have better dynamics? Did they sound better at lower volumes than the ARX, higher volumes, or both? Did they resolve music better(did you 'hear things you'd never heard before' in the music)?

My budget is right around $250/speaker. Right now, I'm looking at the A2rx(the "Center" speaker) for LCR duty......how would you say the XTZ bookshelf speakers compared to the A2rx? I know that may be an unrealistic question since your review was of the A1rx and only used the A2 as a center.

Anyway, thanks for humoring me. The XTZ center is out of my price range, but I can see going with 3 of the .24 bookshelf models, if you think they could give the A2rx a run for their money.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At higher volumes it was probably a push, meaning they both held their composure quite well when things got loud (the XTZ has a physically larger midrange driver, while the Arx utilizes SplitGap technology which affords significant linear travel, so to an extend they cancel each other out). The XTZ has better low level resolution in my opinion, and seemed to have the edge in clarity as well. The differences were mostly subtle though, so it wasn't night and day really. But I'm rather picky, which often means that minor differences can add up for me.

My review was on the 'b' version of the Arx, not the 'rx' currently being sold, so I can't really comment on the improvements between the two variations. My conversations with Jon Lane led me to believe the updates were evolution and not revolutionary, more like refinements than wholesale changes. That could potentially even things up, but I can't say for certain.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I kinda figured someone was going to ask me that question... ;)

The Arx speakers offer an amazing amount of sound for the money, and you certainly can't go wrong with them, but for me the XTZ were better. They had just enough extra to take them to another level, but given that they cost 90% more I would certainly hope so. The XTZ's had a little better build quality as well, are a touch smaller overall and have a unique appearance. All pluses in my book.
Now it is time for them to go out of stock ;)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Very informative review, Jim, thank you.

I have always been intrigued with horn loaded ribbons, but we just don't see very many of these. In comparison to other high frequency drivers you have heard, how do the XTZ ribbon horns stack up?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right up with the best I've heard. There is just something about the sound from a ribbon that has always drawn me in, and XTZ's implementation in the 95 Series was done expertly.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a very good deal on a really fine set of speakers. I hope this discount entices people to give these a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.