Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review covers two products:
  • XTZ's Room Analyzer II Pro, which is a measurement microphone kit plus downloadable software application for room analysis and correction.
  • XTZ's Microphone Pro, which is the same measurement microphone kit without the software.

XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro is an audio measurement, analysis, and room tuning system that includes a calibrated measurement microphone kit and a downloadable software application. The XTZ calibrated measurement microphone kit can also be used with Home Theater Shack's free downloadable audio analysis and room tuning software application, Room EQ Wizard. If XTZ's room analysis software is not needed, the calibrated measurement microphone kit is available without it.

The measurement microphone itself must be used with the supplied power supply / preamp unit. While it is a calibrated mic, each unit does not come with its own individual calibration file. The microphones are manufactured and selected to measure within +/- 1 dB of a target response curve. Then a calibration file is applied within the analysis software in use, giving a final result within the specified tolerance between 16 Hz and 20 kHz. With Room Analyzer II Pro, that calibration curve is built into the software. With Room EQ Wizard, a microphone calibration file must be imported. That calibration file has been supplied by XTZ for this use, and is included below as an attachment for your convenience, with XTZ's permission.

I was supplied with two of the XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro microphone kits for evaluation. Each kit includes:
  • the microphone
  • the microphone preamp with attached 3 m USB cable (the preamp is USB powered)
  • a 4 m long balanced microphone cable
  • a 5 m long output cable with RCA termination
  • an RCA Y cable adapter
  • a small collapsible microphone stand in a protective cloth bag
  • a microphone clip with insert for camera stand use
  • a USB flash memory stick with the instruction manual installed
  • all in a padded aluminum carrying case
All of these components appear to be of top quality. The preamp unit is very heavy for its size, like it was made to take a beating. The microphone is constructed with a small 5/8-inch-diameter capsule tip, which means less high-frequency error for off-axis signals.

The downloadable application includes the following functions:
  • Room Analyzer
    • A plotted curve shows the average frequency response of the room.
    • “Found Room Modes” gives information about the found problems and what countermeasures to consider.
    • “Stimulus EQ” allows simulation of an equalized system with suggested frequency adjustments.
    • Frequency range: 16 - 250Hz
  • Spectrogram
    • The spectrogram is a 2D waterfall diagram which shows the room reverberation time to easily find problematic areas in the low frequency band.
    • Frequency range: 16 - 250Hz
    • Time: 0 - 250 ms
  • Frequency response - RTA
    • Real Time Analyzer (RTA).
    • Shows the frequency response in one place, with 1/3 octave resolution.
    • Frequency range: 16 - 20000Hz
  • Frequency response - SPL
    • FFT measurement with 2D/3D waterfall plot
    • Anechoic, Ambient & Raw visual modes
    • Frequency range: 16 - 20000Hz
    • Time: 0 - 200 ms
  • Advanced SPL meter
    • Accurate SPL meter with selectable average lengths and frequency weighting.
    • Displays continuous and maximum peak values along with selected meter averages.
  • Tone Generator
    • Tone generator with a wide choice of output signals can be used independently of measurements. Output signals include sine wave (10-20kHz), pink noise and white noise.
  • RT60 reverberation time measurement
    • Using the RT60-standard the XTZ Room Analyzer II PRO can measure the reverberation time in your room between 125Hz and 8kHz in octave bands, allowing you to make appropriate adjustments in sound damping and diffusion.
  • Delay Alignment
    • The new Delay Alignment tool is used for time alignment of sound sources. By measuring the distance from speakers and subwoofer, appropriate adjustments to your subwoofers position or phase settings can be made.
The XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro application is extremely easy to download and put to work. No special drivers are required. The USB microphone preamp works with Windows 7 generic drivers. The application itself is pretty much idiot-proof, both installing it and running it. It has only a fraction of the functionality of Room EQ Wizard, but what it does it does very well. Some users will prefer it for its simplicity, even with those limitations.

The microphone preamp is also the ultimate in simplicity. There are no knobs, switches, or indicators of any kind. Using the supplied cables, there is only one way to hook it up.

Note on price: At the time of this writing, XTZ is considering having promotional prices for Home Theater Shack members who wish to purchase either the Room Analyzer II Pro or the Microphone Pro products. If this occurs, the Microphone Pro especially might end up being competitive with other measurement microphones popular among HTS members. Check back or contact XTZ sales for details. One who chooses to use the microphone kit with Room EQ Wizard will need to download the attached generic calibration file (see below). With that installed, all of Room EQ Wizard's functions are available.

Note on accuracy: Microphone buyers are normally warned to steer clear of microphones with generic calibration files rather than individual calibration files. That is not the case with the XTZ Microphone Pro or Room Analyzer II Pro, because through the microphone design and selection they guarantee the raw frequency response of all they sell to be within +/- 1 dB of "ideal" across the specified frequency spectrum. So XTZ's microphone with its generic calibration file gives about the same accuracy as other microphones with their individual calibration files.

I took measurements with both of the XTZ microphones provided and compared them to the same measurement made with a Cross Spectrum Labs calibrated measurement microphone. The two XTZ microphones matched almost perfectly, and they matched the reference measurement microphone within well under 1 dB except for a small departure of about one dB at 15 kHz. That error was probably just due to measurement repeatability. If matched measurement microphones are ever a requirement, using multiple XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro microphones is a good way to accomplish it. The Home Theater Shack 2-channel Speaker Evaluation Events will make use of this pair of XTZ microphones going forward. We recently determined that using a pair of matching microphones will make our measurements quicker to accomplish with improved accuracy, and XTZ has generously agreed to be a sponsor for those events by allowing us to use those microphones.

In summary, the XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro measurement system is well-built and accurate and comes with software that is extremely easy to use, while somewhat limited in functionality. The microphone can also be used with Room EQ Wizard using the supplied calibration file.

Both the Room Analyzer II Pro (microphone kit plus software) and the Microphone Pro (microphone kit only) can be purchased directly from XTZ through their web site. Both products are covered by XTZ's Buy and Try policy which gives a purchaser three weeks to evaluate any XTZ product and return it for full refund if not satisfied for any reason.

Link to information and ordering page for XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro: MSRP: $360.00 - XTZ is considering a promotional price for Home Theater Shack members. Check back or contact XTZ sales for details.

Link to information and ordering page for XTZ Microphone Pro: MSRP: $160.00 - XTZ is considering a promotional price for Home Theater Shack members. Check back or contact XTZ sales for details.

Calibration file for XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro and for XTZ Microphone Pro, for using the measurement microphone with Room EQ Wizard:

Wayne Myers
AudiocRaver

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi Wayne the mic / preamp sounds like a great option for people that want the versatility of REW full capabilities but don't want the setting up hooking up cabling off others.

Does this include the loopback for REW?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if it is internally?
Please note i am not questioning you.
No problem, always ask. I double-checked the manual (do not have the software installed right now). The only function that could potentially need a loopback would be the Delay Alignment function, but it is done via relative delay measurements and adjustment in the XTZ software, so no loopback is called for.

Loopback calibration makes absolute timing measurements and adjustments possible. Relative timing measurements and adjustments are possible without it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I double-checked the manual (do not have the software installed right now).
Thanks for your reply
Are you going to?

Loopback calibration makes absolute timing measurements and adjustments possible. Relative timing measurements and adjustments are possible without it.
Probably just been lazy here (started to read a thread), is there a easy way of doing this without loopback?

Thanks again

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XTZ Microphone Pro, at retail - $160 - is a bit more expensive than the popular MiniDSP or Dayton mics through Cross Spectrum Labs. But XTZ is considering the possibility of promotional discounts for HTS members. They have not said how big those discounts might be. Just thought it was worth mentioning as an option to keep an eye on if the price drops the right amount.

Comparing the XTZ Microphone Pro to the USB models available from Cross Spectrum Labs:

Advantages:
  • what appears to be excellent build quality
  • smaller capsule size, less off-axis rolloff at high frequencies than mics with larger tip
  • lower noise floor than budget USB mics (with supplied preamp, it is essentially a USB mic)
Disadvantages:
  • more expensive
  • calibration only 16 Hz to 20 kHz, only 0° cal file (UMIK-1 or UMM-6 from Cross Spectrum Labs calibrated 5 Hz to 25 kHz, cal files at 0°, 45°, and 90°)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hi,

I noticed just now that there is an open question about loopback.

Yes, we have an internal loopback. In our software that is compensated for on the fly (in real-time) and not a predetermined filter because that would cause latency (timing) issues in Windows.

If you use our microphone kit with for example REW I would recommend not to create a loopback filter file. It would do more harm than good and would add an uncertainty to the measurements.

Best regards,
Joel

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Wayne wrote:

UMIK-1 or UMM-6 from Cross Spectrum Labs calibrated 5 Hz to 25 kHz
Wayne, I'm by no means the mic guru, but I thought I read somewhere that these mics also started @ 20Hz & not down to 5 Hz. Can't find where I read that now so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wayne wrote:

Wayne, I'm by no means the mic guru, but I thought I read somewhere that these mics also started @ 20Hz & not down to 5 Hz. Can't find where I read that now so I could be wrong.
I have a CS USB mic that is calibrated from 5hz-25khz

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi,

I noticed just now that there is an open question about loopback.

Yes, we have an internal loopback. In our software that is compensated for on the fly (in real-time) and not a predetermined filter because that would cause latency (timing) issues in Windows.

If you use our microphone kit with for example REW I would recommend not to create a loopback filter file. It would do more harm than good and would add an uncertainty to the measurements.

Best regards,
Joel
Thanks Joel that clears that up.

Does XTZ time align any sound source e.g full range 16hz - 20.000hz or just bass region?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Thanks Joel that clears that up.

Does XTZ time align any sound source e.g full range 16hz - 20.000hz or just bass region?
If you mean the alignment function in the full range tab, then this works full range. It's perfect to use for subwoofers and surround speakers to get the time alignment in ms (milliseconds).

I need to put some information out there for everyone:
If you are using our software then the sample rate has to be set to 48 kHz, not 44.1 kHz as normal (default). You change this setting for both Playback devices and Recording devices by right click on the XTZ sound card and mic and go into the advanced tab. It's important in general but specific to get the reverberation time, RT60, correct higher up frequency (8 kHz octave band).

I'm thinking about working it in as an annoying pop-up window when you open the program (of course with the option to never show the message again).

/Joel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Joel, could you please answer some questions?

- Is it possible to use this Mic with REW?
- Is it calibrated?
- Does each microphone have an "unique" calibration file?
- Is it as accurate as UMIK-1 or other popular microphones?

Regards.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Joel, could you please answer some questions?

- Is it possible to use this Mic with REW?
- Is it calibrated?
- Does each microphone have an "unique" calibration file?
- Is it as accurate as UMIK-1 or other popular microphones?

Regards.
- Yes, it is. I have used it with REW with great result. You just need to load a calibration file. Send us an email if you want the calibration file, at the moment it's not available for download on the web site. We will put it up there really soon, like next week when I'm back at work. It's built in for our software, Dirac and Amarra Symphony with iRC.

- Every mic is calibrated and passes a quality control to check if the specifications are fulfilled.

- We use a general file, which we think is well enough for consumer mics of this level if the tolerance of +/- 1 dB is reached. Usually speakers are made with the same level of tolarance, so we don't see it as an issue. You will probably have other "issues" that will cause more variation in the measurements, like different kind of noise problems from outside, inside the room and from the computer.

- Yes, definitely. I would say it's better because of the separate and better A/D-converter. Our kit also includes a large tripod stand, sound card and all the cables you need. This in a nice aluminum carrying case. It's a complete kit and a steal now with our promo price of $79.

Best regards,
Joel

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hi Joel is the new mic better than the V1 mic?

Is the alignment accurate?

Thank you
Both our Room Analyzers (II standard and II Pro) has a better mic than the old version 1.

The time alignment is calculated precise from two choosen measurements that has been stored with the overlay function.

BR,
Joel

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
If some of you out there wants to upgrade from a previous version of the Room Analyzer (e.g. version 1) we can offer a deal of $150 for the complete measurement system Room Analyzer II Pro.

BR,
Joel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts