Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introduction
This Yamaha has pretty much all the right bits and pieces to compete with the top models from competing brands. Lots of channels, lots of power, network streaming capability, compatibility with all the current audio and video formats and interfaces, plenty of decoding and upscaling options, network control app, automated room correction and EQ, high quality materials, the list goes on. Some of the features highlighted by Yamaha are: Premium electronic components, anti-resonance design and symmetrical amplifier layout, Dolby Atmos, 4k and HDMI 2.0 support, YPAO R.S.C. and optimization of compressed audio/video content.

Read The Full Review

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Great review Peter! After reading the review I had one question (I don't recall seeing some info, and will be embarrassed if it was included, and I missed it)... Does the Yamaha EQ both subs or only one?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great review Peter! After reading the review I had one question (I don't recall seeing some info, and will be embarrassed if it was included, and I missed it)... Does the Yamaha EQ both subs or only one?
As far as I can tell it configures the two subs independently. To be honest, the way it handled dual subs was a bit confusing to me at times.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think this will have an update for dts:X when the time comes?
Good question. I would tend to say no, since Yamaha has generally favored its own proprietary DSP over Dolby PL, DTS Neo, etc. Since they have adopted Atmos now, it is certainly conceivable that they could introduce DTS:X into the lineup at some point. I would expect it to happen with their next line of new relievers though, as opposed to a firmware update for the 2014 models. We should start getting more details about DTS:X in the next month or two.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
As far as I can tell it configures the two subs independently. To be honest, the way it handled dual subs was a bit confusing to me at times.
Do you think it handles 2 subs as well as Audyssey? I am really thinking of moving from Denon to Yamaha for my next AVP or AVR, and the sub handling could be the decision maker for me.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think it handles 2 subs as well as Audyssey? I am really thinking of moving from Denon to Yamaha for my next AVP or AVR, and the sub handling could be the decision maker for me.
I haven't run Audyssey on my current setup yet but will be doing so this week. I can post some general impressions here but will save the meat for my upcoming Denon X4100 review.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Thanks for the great review, Peter. Sounds like a very solid unit.

Is there a way to keep YAPO from managing bass? I prefer to feed bass management out to a parametric equalizer...

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great review, Peter. Sounds like a very solid unit.

Is there a way to keep YAPO from managing bass? I prefer to feed bass management out to a parametric equalizer...
I'm not sure about this. I haven't shipped it back yet so I'll take a look this week and see if I can give you a definite answer.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Audyssey XT32 with Sub EQ will send a warble tone to each sub independently, which will level match and set the distance of each sub. Then it sends another warble tone to both subs combined for the parametric equalization filtering. Most other dual outputs from YPAO, MCACC, etc, have simply internally split the subwoofer output, so they do not get independently setup, but they do both get equalized, although it is no where close to the 512 filters of resolution that XT32 offers for the subwoofer alone. I think YPAO and MCACC use up to 8 filters.

You could check how the new 3040 handles sub processing pretty easy with how many warble tones it sends for the subs during the first listening position measurements. A before and after REW graph on the sub response will tell you how well it actually equalizes the subs.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Audyssey XT32 with Sub EQ will send a warble tone to each sub independently, which will level match and set the distance of each sub. Then it sends another warble tone to both subs combined for the parametric equalization filtering. Most other dual outputs from YPAO, MCACC, etc, have simply internally split the subwoofer output, so they do not get independently setup, but they do both get equalized, although it is no where close to the 512 filters of resolution that XT32 offers for the subwoofer alone. I think YPAO and MCACC use up to 8 filters.

You could check how the new 3040 handles sub processing pretty easy with how many warble tones it sends for the subs during the first listening position measurements. A before and after REW graph on the sub response will tell you how well it actually equalizes the subs.
YPAO sends separate tones to the subs and adjusts level and distance independently. The A3040 allowed me to configure dual subs as either front and rear or left and right. Front and rear suited my needs so that's how I left it. Some listening modes make use of only one, and others use both, and some allow you to choose one or both (which is one thing I found rather confusing about this AVR). Based on the before/after frequency response graphs, I'd guess they are combined for EQ similar to the Audyssey method. As far as frequency range and number of filters for YPAO's sub EQ, I don't know the details. These are the post-YPAO settings for distance and level:

(front sub shown outside front left speaker, rear sub shown between surround back speakers)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yeah... using one or the other subs does seem strange. Especially if they are equalized together. If it is only using one sub for a particular mode, that single sub likely won't be equalized correctly, since it was equalized based on the other sub's interaction with it.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Yeah... using one or the other subs does seem strange. Especially if they are equalized together. If it is only using one sub for a particular mode, that single sub likely won't be equalized correctly, since it was equalized based on the other sub's interaction with it.
Unless... It is doing calibration individually, and both together, and then selecting which cal to use per mode. I would prefer to be able to select one or both if this is the way it does it as it would be nice to kick one sub down for late night bass heavy action flics.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
That would be pretty sophisticated for sure, although it shouldn't really make a difference, not if it calibrates the second sub to compensate for the -6dB decrease in output. I don't see the point in only using one or the other, not since bass is non-localized.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try to tinker some more with it this week. I've got the Denon hooked up in the HT already but I should be able to rig something in the garage with what I've got laying around. I tried taking another look at the manual for info about the dual sub options but it's still not clear.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
That would be pretty sophisticated for sure, although it shouldn't really make a difference, not if it calibrates the second sub to compensate for the -6dB decrease in output. I don't see the point in only using one or the other, not since bass is non-localized.
The only thing I can think of is when you listen to music you may not want as much bass. We use our subs as part of our 2 channel setup as they cross over at 80Hz. The only other thing would be that with one less sub it might be better for late night viewing, but then again they could just put a setting on the AVR to turn down the bass.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I can think of is when you listen to music you may not want as much bass. We use our subs as part of our 2 channel setup as they cross over at 80Hz. The only other thing would be that with one less sub it might be better for late night viewing, but then again they could just put a setting on the AVR to turn down the bass.
It's certainly possible. One setting that seemed to affect whether one or both subs were active for certain listening modes was the "Extra Bass" setting. But if I recall, turning it off didn't always disable one of the subs and vice-versa. If I get the chance this week I'll play with it and take some notes. It's worth having a good understanding of what it can and cannot do with dual subs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Sonnie is it possible that it is EQing each separately then it does its own combined calculations when both subs are used. But when it isn't using both in the dsp mode, it uses the single sub calculation as we are accustomed to.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The A3040's built-in PEQ (which can be set manually or by YPAO) allows for separate filters to be set on the two sub channels. The lowest center frequency on the sub channels is about 31Hz. You can also view YPAO's PEQ filters after setup. You can't adjust the YPAO curves but you could certainly use them as a starting point for a manual curve to be tweaked (based on REW measurements, etc). This makes the Yamaha very appealing in my opinion.

Although I did not make use of the manual PEQ settings during the review I have since experimented with them in a different room/setup with very good results. I also ran YPAO on this 2nd setup, making use of all 8 mic positions (instead of just 6) which appears to have improved the results as well. I'll post some pre/post EQ graphs this week.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts