Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Yamaha RXV-685 in June 2020.The screws,usb port,aux port or the insides of the vents of the Yamaha receiver is having small electricity.Its not something that will give a shock but yes it does give a tingling sensation if touched.So naturally i took a tester and when i tested i found the small current.Its not there on the whole body probably due to the paint.

I thought this could be a defect and hence called up the seller and he checked his personal device and also some other Yamaha AVRs and found the presence of this small residual current.He wasn't aware about this till i reported it on my device.

i just need to confirm for peace of mind if its only certain AVRs or if this is there on every Yamaha AVR which may suggest that its as intended and not actually a defect.

Please find the attached photos.Could Indian Yamaha users please confirm if this is the case with all their AVRs?

Please note that the BODY doesn't have any current due to the paint coating but only the screws and any metallic part like the inside of the vents and the usb port and if u connect an AUX and put a tester to the other end of the aux cable u will see this current.

Yamaha indian users can u pls check and confirm?

Attachments

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,335 Posts
I'm not familiar with that type of probe, is it checking for AC or DC? If it's DC the USB port might show some current if that's a charging port, but I doubt the AUX port should. And definitely not the chassis screws.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familiar with that type of probe, is it checking for AC or DC? If it's DC the USB port might show some current if that's a charging port, but I doubt the AUX port should. And definitely not the chassis screws.
AC current it should be.its a tester screwdriver.normally lights up if u put in a live socket.its a defective piece with electricity all over the body

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I have an older Yamaha that also did this. They are supposed to be double insulated to prevent any problems.
However when I plugged an external pre-amp into the Aux socket it was destroyed (The smoke got out)
I tested the connectors and screws and they were around 100 volts, we use 240 volt mains here.
I ended up replacing it with my Onkyo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an older Yamaha that also did this. They are supposed to be double insulated to prevent any problems.
However when I plugged an external pre-amp into the Aux socket it was destroyed (The smoke got out)
I tested the connectors and screws and they were around 100 volts, we use 240 volt mains here.
I ended up replacing it with my Onkyo.
and thats abnormal rt.you shudnt have to do a DIY on a cotly piece of av equipment.isnt a fault a fault?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-A700 and found also some AC voltage on the chassis screw.
Magnitude is around 15Vac to 35Vac.
As I want to change it I will keep it like this until Black Friday.
The only workaround is to add a wire between a chassis screw and a GND plug.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh wow.it seems yamaha has zero quality checks.reason their management says none of our devices have this issue and urs is the first item whereas wen i check its like tossing a coin.sm have it and sm dont.its a defect and their service centres in india themselves told me to not plug in any other device lest it damages them.also dont u think its a bit of a stretch to be doing DIY on an item that u bought brand new and paid a good amt of money.its juat my thought that u shud be informing this to yamaha coz this is possibly a design flaw or a severe QA flaw or else u wont have diff yamaha models behaving differently.only then will yamha acknowledge this and fix it atleast in upcoming devices.they are still in denial.i dont know much but it seems yamaha is following in onkyos footsteps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
an
and u bought this in US rt?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Residual current within safe limits is normal for almost all mains-powered devices. Safety standards typically specify upper limit touch current 3.5 mA or 0.25 mA, less for medical devices with direct body contact.
It is caused by the small capacitance between mains voltage phases and chassis, e.g. from line filters to minimize radio interference.
If you ground the chassis, usually by the earth contact in a properly wired wall outlet, touch current goes away.
If capacitors are damaged, e.g by lightning or other overvoltage, the chassis may be hot and a hazard to your life or other devices you may connect. When the chassis is earthed, then a fuse will blow and protect you.
If in doubt, ask your neighborhood electrician.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Residual current within safe limits is normal for almost all mains-powered devices. Safety standards typically specify upper limit touch current 3.5 mA or 0.25 mA, less for medical devices with direct body contact.
It is caused by the small capacitance between mains voltage phases and chassis, e.g. from line filters to minimize radio interference.
If you ground the chassis, usually by the earth contact in a properly wired wall outlet, touch current goes away.
If capacitors are damaged, e.g by lightning or other overvoltage, the chassis may be hot and a hazard to your life or other devices you may connect. When the chassis is earthed, then a fuse will blow and protect you.
If in doubt, ask your neighborhood electrician.
yes but wat would u say about the same model not having this issue and yamaha itself telling me its a manufacturing defect.i know that grounding it will solve it but its like we r willfully giving yamaha the pass for an issue they themselves consider a defeft and so do other elctronics guys.have talked to a lot of them and thats the point.nobody says it will cause death but even they told me it shouldnt be there on such a costly device and that too on a doubly insulated item.its another issue if we consider or not consider to ignore or do our own DIYs.its like getting a broken or scratched back glass on a brand new iphone and us saying that slapping a skin on it wud hide it.a defect is a defect when it shudnt ideally be there.thats why they call it doubly insulated.if the residual current had to be normal then why isnt it there on all devices and atleast on the same model.i got proof that similar model doesnt have any residual current on it.on my 10V AC the authorized service centres asked me to unplug every electronic device from the avr as in the long term this leakage will affect them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is not a big issue: this residual AC voltage is not evacuated because the chassis is not grounded properly.
In Europe the main plug are not polarized, also you can invert the plug to find the position where the residual voltage is the lower.
Alas in the US it is not possible to invert the main plug.
In the old time, on my Marantz receiver, there was a grounding connection at the back panel.
Alas the newly design AVR do not have that any more.
I will look at it carefully for my next AVR (hdmi 2.1).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not a big issue: this residual AC voltage is not evacuated because the chassis is not grounded properly.
In Europe the main plug are not polarized, also you can invert the plug to find the position where the residual voltage is the lower.
In the old time, on my Marantz receiver, there was a grounding connection at the back panel.
i have reversed the plug and checked wen i discovered this first.have tried eveything that can be done before i asking others to check.i know this is a grounding issue but as also agreed by yamaha it shudnt ideally exist.pls correct me if i am wrong.why do some models have it and then sm dont.wat does it tell u about the avr.leave the idea about is it harmful or harmless or anythng.
let me ask this.if our phn battery drains say in 3 hrs instead of the usual 6 wud we be content charging it more frequently or wud we raise it with the manufacturer considering other similar phns dont have that issue?
in this case if i plug an ipod to the usb i can feel the shock on the ipod nanos body.i cant find any "normalcy" in that.again correct me if i am wrong but dont u think paying up for a brand new item and wen u get issues which the model normally foesnt have calls for an introspection rather than us buyers doing DIYs??
and the fact of the matter is that i have it and amone else doesnt have for the same model.also i have tried connecting this avr to atleast 2 other sockets in different localities even 5km apart.same result.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hi i have a request.so got this reply from yamaha again telling that none of their devices have leakage issue save mine.if possible and i totally understand if you arent fine sharing the details but can u share your product images with the electricity leakage issue highlighted using a tester or smthng and also the serial number of the device.will collect all these and send to yamaha india management.And pls pls pls do complain to yamaha USA or wherever u are and escalate this and post it to their fb pges or anythng.yamaha is trying to take the safest route and bluffing.lets make them realise they are bloody wrong.

Heres the reply from yamaha.They have been telling me over the phone that none of their devices have such an issue i.e., electric voltage on the chassis and that mine is a defect but they still wont confirm the manufacturing defect.

SO please do inform yamaha and share it also.These are defective devices no matter u ground them or not and yamaha needs to acknowledge that.As mentined at the start iof this mail i had specifically said i dont need repair but replacement but still see the reply after 4 days of to and fro mails.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Where did you buy the unit? Was it from an authorized dealer? Was it new or a refurb?

Reactions: cocreatr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you buy the unit? Was it from an authorized dealer? Was it new or a refurb?
bought the unit in india from a seller on amazon india which was an amazon fulfilled item.
The item is a new item.order placed on 4th june,2020.reveived on 13th june.return window closed on 21st june and hence amazon wont take it back now even after intimation of this issue.
yamaha confirmed its a valid item marked for sale in india and not a grey market stuff.
They also added that none of their avrs or amplifiers etc have this issue and hence this is a one off issue.however i know of atleast 2 cases of a aventage,an amplifier respt and one other person having same issue but still thinking it as normal and doing their own DIYs refusing to raise it to yamaha.Thats why yamaha can still claim as mine being a one off issue and as per my knowledge which is again a small dataset some avrs/amplifiers of previous generation too have this issue and if not highlighted on a large scale now,will continue on future models since yamaha is in abject denial mode.

·
Registered
855 Posts
bought the unit in india from a seller on amazon india which was an amazon fulfilled item.
The item is a new item.order placed on 4th june,2020.reveived on 13th june.return window closed on 21st june and hence amazon wont take it back now even after intimation of this issue.
yamaha confirmed its a valid item marked for sale in india and not a grey market stuff.
They also added that none of their avrs or amplifiers etc have this issue and hence this is a one off issue.however i know of atleast 2 cases of a aventage,an amplifier respt and one other person having same issue but still thinking it as normal and doing their own DIYs refusing to raise it to yamaha.Thats why yamaha can still claim as mine being a one off issue and as per my knowledge which is again a small dataset some avrs/amplifiers of previous generation too have this issue and if not highlighted on a large scale now,will continue on future models since yamaha is in abject denial mode.
It is an unusual problem. I have 4 Yamaha AVRs, 1 purchased new and the other 3 used and none of them exhibited this kind of problem. They are all still working without issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is an unusual problem. I have 4 Yamaha AVRs, 1 purchased new and the other 3 used and none of them exhibited this kind of problem. They are all still working without issue.
great.cool.its gud u dont have it.coz the reply from yamaha to the issue hasnt been satisfactory.they seem to suggest none of their devices can have it whereas i am aware of atleast 2,one is US and one in india that have this issue.also diff models.thats wat is truly surprising.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to every yamaha user i have a request..an earnest request.please whoever has leakage current over his/her avr report to yamaha.
today i took it to the authorized service at my place and they checked over an analog meter and its 5V ac.sm more devices there have lesser voltages but yamaha is being highly evasive.a branch manager called and first said no yamaha devices have this.so i asked then why do these have.he evaded and later said most have it.so i told him.get a grip .is it there or not coz in both he cudnt answer why same models of two people either have it or dont have it.similar issue across models and even generations.he agreed that they will report it above to prevent in future and thanked
me for raising this issue.i have just this earnest request.its not leakage or any other distribution issue but an issue with avr.
today on an analog multimeter it registered 5V ac.the tester lights up well and another guy too felt the voltage on his skin.
wat i saying is the ques isnt if its harmles or residual or not but why do diff models have diff behaviour.why does yamaha very confidently say leakage voltage on body is a defect and yet users just refuse to accept.
why i ask to raise it loud and clear is because let yamaha cm forward and say openly as to what it is?is there or is there not and either ways then why does their avr behave differently for the same model??
Am not a big knowledgeble guy as others in this forum but i am just askng logically.neither i nor the branch guy cud answer my query

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes but wat would u say about the same model not having this issue and yamaha itself telling me its a manufacturing defect.i know that grounding it will solve it but its like we r willfully giving yamaha the pass for an issue they themselves consider a defect and so do other electronics guys.have talked to a lot of them and thats the point...the authorized service centres asked me to unplug every electronic device from the avr as in the long term this leakage will affect them.
if the product fails to perform as specified and the service center confirms it, use the warranty agreement and get it repaired or replaced. An AVR is built to connect to other devices, without damaging them.
If they fix yours, allow the salespeople to claim they never heard of such issue. The illusion saves face officially, even if forum readers know better. If they have too many cases they may do a recall anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts