1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
They are WAY overpriced IMO... The equipment should be around $3-4k each..

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you figure? If it were Lexicon or Linn, you can count on doubling the price again of the Yamaha prices for the same level of performance offered by Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
How do you figure? If it were Lexicon or Linn, you can count on doubling the price again of the Yamaha prices for the same level of performance offered by Yamaha.
So Lexicon, and Linn have a stereo preamp that is more than the Yamaha? I could buy a Classe Audio stereo preamp for half the price of the Yamaha preamp.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The fundamental thing about what the article calls "upscale hifi" is that the price has to be high!

These products are made in order to appeal to people who can afford and want to pay $10k per component.

Their prices will never seem reasonable to people who can't afford and don't want to pay $10k per component.

It is an essential property of these 'upscale' products, that if we strip them down into parts and manufacturing processes, they are 'ripoffs'. But don't blame Yamaha for that (unless you can show a side-by-side strip-down of the Yamaha and some other $10k component and prove a big difference in 'value' -- and you won't be able to). Blame the buyers who want $10k components! :grin2:

cheers

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
You can by Classe Audio preamps which are every bit as good or better IMO for half the price, and are considered Up Scale too.

Yeah I remember one high end company that was buying bottom of the line Denon AVRs, and changing some caps, and putting it in a new case....selling them for $10k. Lol

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not considered high-end by the $10k preamp buyer, I'm sorry to inform you. High-end starts at $10k for them. Don't you know how this works?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$15k for speakers made from 3/4" plywood? My speakers have 3 inch thick front baffles, and cost much less than that.
I'm not going to judge a speaker on baffle thickness. Thats just one facet of the design. Look the sh?t that Wilson produces? Frequency response curves all over the map, non linear response and yet their asking price is that of a small mortage. :spend::spend::spend::spend:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The fundamental thing about what the article calls "upscale hifi" is that the price has to be high!

These products are made in order to appeal to people who can afford and want to pay $10k per component.

Their prices will never seem reasonable to people who can't afford and don't want to pay $10k per component.

It is an essential property of these 'upscale' products, that if we strip them down into parts and manufacturing processes, they are 'ripoffs'. But don't blame Yamaha for that (unless you can show a side-by-side strip-down of the Yamaha and some other $10k component and prove a big difference in 'value' -- and you won't be able to). Blame the buyers who want $10k components! :grin2:

cheers
You mean what Lexicon did with the Oppo player? I suspect that Yamaha is specifically targeting the audiophile crowd who have more money than brains and that believe in magic rather than the science of audio. This isn't Yamaha's first foray into high end and it certainly won't be their last. If I had lots of spare cash, I would certainly snatch up the electronics. Why? Because Yamaha's QC is tops in the industry. I also very much like their approach with the turntable. A quartz locked motor spinning a heavy platter via a belt, and utilizing a far more rigid carbon fiber tone arm. The speakers I'm curious about and would like to hear them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts