Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured we may as well start up an official owners thread for the Yamaha RX-V1700 and RX-V2700 Receivers.

Rodny and I both ordered up the V1700 today.

If you own either, please let us all know and maybe share with us what you like, pros, cons, etc.

If you don't mind, let us know what speakers you are running with the unit.

Thanks!

Main Features:
  • 7-channel 910W powerful surround sound
    (130W x 7)
  • Digital ToP-ART with extremely high quality parts and devices used throughout
  • Pure Direct for higher fidelity sound reproduction
  • 2 in/1 out HDMI (ver. 1.2a) for handling digital signals including Super Audio CD
  • Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
Advanced Features:
  • iPod song titles displayed on front panel and on-screen display (multi-language compatible)
  • Improved YPAO sound optimization
  • Superior zone control with additional zone remote unit
High Picture Quality:
  • 1080p compatible HDMI (2 in/1 out)
  • video up-conversion to HDMI
  • De-interlacing (480i to 480p)
  • Wide-range component video bandwidth
    (100MHz -3 dB, 1080p compatibility)
Surround Realism:
  • CINEMA DSP with 23 DSP programs
  • Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES 96/24 compatibility
Other Features:
  • Audio Delay for adjusting lip-sync (0–240 ms)
  • Dialogue Lift for dialogue to screen center
  • Selectable 9-band subwoofer crossover frequencies
  • Subwoofer Phase Select
  • Night Listening Enhancer ensures can be heard clearly at low volumes
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • Detachable power cable
  • Extended remote control codes
  • Remote terminal for Zone 2 or Zone 3
  • Dual programable +12V trigger outputs

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
I have couple of ???s........

What is the best set up, 7.1 with SB or 7.1 with presence speaker?
My setup now is 7.1 SB.
Do you think the presence speakers will make my stage better?
If I go with the presence setup I can bi-amp my mains.:bigsmile:.
Doing the 7.1 SB I can use the presence output for my 3rd zone.
What you guys think??:dumbcrazy:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
In movies that put surrounds to good use, I noticed a very nice and noticable improvement in my surround space by using rears. PLIIx layering on top of DD or DTS is without a doubt my preferred movie playback style. If your LCR already provide a nice large soundstage, I can only see presence channels hurting.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with SteveCallas about the presence channels. Your room has a small width and I couldn't see it helping... nor in mine. If my HT shared my great room, then I see it being an asset.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

The presence channels are actually great for Yamaha’s music DSP modes. I’ve used ours both with and without the presence speakers, and they definitely make an audible difference. Unlike most manufacturers, Yamaha’s DSP modes are modeled on actual venues, to mimic the acoustics of a concert hall, stadium, etc. If you like concert videos (and I know you do!) you can get a more enjoyable experience if y our HT “sounds” like the big auditorium, or small jazz club, that you’re “seeing” them in.

That said, I’ve only used the DSPs with Yamaha’s top-of-the-line models, and our dated flagship which is over 10 years old now. Back then the lower-line models I heard, they sounded cheesy. But I expect by this time the technology from the old flagships has trickled down to the lower models. It sure can’t hurt to hook them up and see what you get.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first started this hobby I had a Yamaha DSP100 that had several DSP modes. I used front effects speakers for years with no center.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The presence channels are helpful. I've used them with my older Yamaha RX-V1.

The new 10.2 format that Tom Holman (THX Developer) is preparing for as a next generation format has not more rear or side speakers, but more front channel speakers. Hence, I think the front stage is where it's at for improving movie soundtrack realism.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the V1700 all connected and setup last night and today. I must say at first listen I am surprised at how laid back and warm this receiver sounds with the SVS SBS-01 system. I love the sound... :T If it were not for the sound I firmly believe I would sell it because of all the other nick picky things I find bothersome.

Setup went fairly easy, although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.

Auto setup was of course about what I expected and what I've seen with many other receivers. It never gets the Large/Small setting on the speakers right, setting the SBS-01 speakers to Large. The sub distance was way off, although the manual did state this could happen, but I don't buy it.

I found I had to set the levels almost at max to get to my listening level while the receiver is set to -10 on the volume. Had I left it where the auto setup had it, I would be at +10 before it was getting loud enough.

Fortunately we only have to get it setup once with maybe some minor adjustments and we are done with the Menu, or at least I think most users would be.

One other minor gripe is the volume level numbers are teenie weenie and there is no way to read them from my listening position. I wish they had made those numbers much bigger or allow it to pop-up on the screen all the time like it does when you are adjusting it in the Menu.

I still plan on testing the Auto-EQ to see how it performs.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Setup went fairly easy, although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.
"return" button, left side mid ways "XM MEMORY":nerd:

REMOTE-001.gif

·
Registered
428 Posts
I must say at first listen I am surprised at how laid back and warm this receiver sounds with the SVS SBS-01 system. I love the sound... :T If it were not for the sound I firmly believe I would sell it because of all the other nick picky things I find bothersome.
What AVR were you using before you got the Yamaha Sonnie?

Hakka.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was previously using the Maestro M2 with an Earthquake Cinenova Grande. The sound was more neutral with those in play with the SBS-01's. The JBL Northridge speakers started out fairly bright, but mellowed down somewhat after several hours of play.

I guess since I've read several places where Yamaha was on the brighter side that I was expecting a bright sound, but I have been pleasantly surprised. This unit actually reminds me of my old McIntosh gear.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I guess since I've read several places where Yamaha was on the brighter side that I was expecting a bright sound, but I have been pleasantly surprised. This unit actually reminds me of my old McIntosh gear.

I had a Yamaha DSP-A3090 before I got my Denon 3803, and the Yamaha definately had a brighter sound than the Denon. I have heard from a few different sources lately that the new Yamahas have a warm sound. I was thinking you had a Denon for some reason, I was interested in a comparison between the two.

Hakka.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I've had the Denon 3805 and 3806... both sounded about the same to me and I would say they were rather neutral as well, but in both cases I used the Cinenova as the amp and each Denon as a pre-pro.

·
Registered
65 Posts
when do you need something like this?
More YPAO memories means you can save and recall the auto settings from different seating positions. It also allows you to taylor the auto settings to different preferences, say for music listening versus movies.

what's the difference between the nonGUI and GUI OSD?
The nonGUI is text based, while the GUI is more graphical.

-Steve

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, I've had the Denon 3805 and 3806... both sounded about the same to me and I would say they were rather neutral as well, but in both cases I used the Cinenova as the amp and each Denon as a pre-pro.
Are you using the Cinenova with the Yamaha or the internal amps?

·
Registered
651 Posts
More YPAO memories means you can save and recall the auto settings from different seating positions. It also allows you to taylor the auto settings to different preferences, say for music listening versus movies.

The nonGUI is text based, while the GUI is more graphical.

-Steve
on the first one, nice

on the second one, I can live with text based OSD

1 - 20 of 90 Posts