Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
I have my RX-V1700 hook to the toshiba HD-XA2 via HDMI and when I press the "straight" button is only showing MPCM, I cant get it to dolby o dts, do I need to change something on the DVD player o the receiver?????:dontknow:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have my RX-V1700 hook to the toshiba HD-XA2 via HDMI and when I press the "straight" button is only showing MPCM, I cant get it to dolby o dts, do I need to change something on the DVD player o the receiver?????:dontknow:
The "Straight" button disables the internal DSP (so no DD PLIIx to make 7.1 out of 5.1). Try not using it. Selecting the DVD audio input on the Yamaha should do an "auto" select to use the linear Multichannel PCM HDMI audio input without using the "Straight" button. I'm just extrapolating from what my RX-V2500 does (no HDMI) with the S/PDIF digital versus two channel analog with its auto select of the best input for a given selection.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The "Straight" button disables the internal DSP (so no DD PLIIx to make 7.1 out of 5.1). Try not using it. Selecting the DVD audio input on the Yamaha should do an "auto" select to use the linear Multichannel PCM HDMI audio input without using the "Straight" button. I'm just extrapolating from what my RX-V2500 does (no HDMI) with the S/PDIF digital versus two channel analog with its auto select of the best input for a given selection.
This is a little confusing to me... especially you suggesting "Try not using it." From the manual it appears it is the only way for it to decode DD and DTS. On page 49 it reads:

"When this unit is in the STRAIGHT mode, multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing."

And then it has a column listing the various formats and their description:

DD
DTS
DSD
PCM
MPCM
Analog

And that's pretty much all it says on this.

On page 96 there is a Decoder mode section that explains:

"Use to switch the input mode. You can designate the reassigned digital input jacks for specific audio signals (DTS, etc.) Choices: AUTO, DTS."

Is HDMI not considered "digital" ???

This is probably one of the more challenging receiver manuals I've been exposed too... :scratch:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sonnie said:
although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.
Assuming it's the same as my 5890, all you do is press up or down at the top or bottom of the list (respectively) and it takes you right back to the previous menu screen. For instance, if you are into the menu system with something generic like:

..A
.....Left
.....Right
.....Center
.....etc

and you want to get back to level A, just keep pressing up until you get back to Left and then press up again and you're back in A. Does that make sense? I find it makes navigation really easy because you only have to use up, down, left, and right the whole time. Other receivers I've played with have buttons for every minor task and it becomes ridiculous.

Sonnie said:
I found I had to set the levels almost at max to get to my listening level while the receiver is set to -10 on the volume. Had I left it where the auto setup had it, I would be at +10 before it was getting loud enough.
Is this calibrated to reference or just generically basing it on -10 should be "loud"? With Yamaha test tones, you calibrate each channel to 75db when master volume is at 0.

Sonnie said:
One other minor gripe is the volume level numbers are teenie weenie and there is no way to read them from my listening position. I wish they had made those numbers much bigger or allow it to pop-up on the screen all the time like it does when you are adjusting it in the Menu.
Unless the 1700 is different from the 5890 again, the MV does pop up on screen when you are using the video input the menu is set on. Additionally, whatever is displayed on the receiver pannel (THX, Standard, Pro Logic IIx, etc) changes to display the master volume when adjusting the volume.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Assuming it's the same as my 5890, all you do is press up or down at the top or bottom of the list (respectively) and it takes you right back to the previous menu screen.
Mine doesn't do that. Pressing Up or Down keeps rotating through the same screen.

Is this calibrated to reference or just generically basing it on -10 should be "loud"? With Yamaha test tones, you calibrate each channel to 75db when master volume is at 0.
-10 is generally where I listen on my other units... just a reference for me.

I didn't read this about the master volume at 0 in the manual, but maybe I should try it and see what happens.

Unless the 1700 is different from the 5890 again, the MV does pop up on screen when you are using the video input the menu is set on. Additionally, whatever is displayed on the receiver pannel (THX, Standard, Pro Logic IIx, etc) changes to display the master volume when adjusting the volume.
I'm not sure what you mean by "video input the menu is set on". :scratch: The only video connection I have is HDMI so the OSD is using HDMI to show on my screen.

I'm thinking they must be different because nothing changes on the front of my unit when changing volumes. Unless there is somewhere I can tell it to do this and just haven't figured it out or read it in the manual yet. :huh:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sonnie said:
Mine doesn't do that. Pressing Up or Down keeps rotating through the same screen.
Well that's no good....:scratch: Maybe they redid the menu system.

The only video connection I have is HDMI so the OSD is using HDMI to show on my screen.

I'm thinking they must be different because nothing changes on the front of my unit when changing volumes.
So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display? :blink: That's odd. That should be default, but I'd imagine there has to be a way to turn that on.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display?
Mine's like yours - pushing a button shows the action on both the front-panel display and the OSD. Guess they’ve changed that – bad move, especially with the iddy-biddy volume numbers... From what I see in the manual, the short OSD display only shows what’s on the front panel – which I guess is a static “Dolby Digital,” “Pro Logic,” etc. :(

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is a little confusing to me... especially you suggesting "Try not using it." From the manual it appears it is the only way for it to decode DD and DTS.
Look at the top right hand part of page 40 in your manual. I'm talking about the Audio Select on the front panel or AUDIO SEL on the remote control. When you select DVD audio as the source the AUDIO SEL button lets you choose AUTO, HDMI, COAX/OPT or ANALOG connection types for DVD audio. You need to be sure that you have ASSIGNed the HDMI as an audio input for DVD per page 94. I downloaded and glanced through the manual. Very nice AVR. I'm jealous. :drool: Trying to hold out for a RX-V2800 or better for my next AVR.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Wayne said:
Mine's like yours - pushing a button shows the action on both the front-panel display and the OSD. Guess they’ve changed that
Hmm, you know what, I bet it's precisely because he is using HDMI. I wonder if the receiver is incapable of displaying system info through the HDMI signal chain while material is being played?

·
828 Posts
The guys from toshiba told me the it could be that the receiver doesnt support DD, DTS.......... thru HDMI.:hissyfit:
The guys from yamaha................. on screen menu is only with video, s video and 480p component.:crying: :rant:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Look at the top right hand part of page 40 in your manual. I'm talking about the Audio Select on the front panel or AUDIO SEL on the remote control. When you select DVD audio as the source the AUDIO SEL button lets you choose AUTO, HDMI, COAX/OPT or ANALOG connection types for DVD audio. You need to be sure that you have ASSIGNed the HDMI as an audio input for DVD per page 94. I downloaded and glanced through the manual. Very nice AVR. I'm jealous. :drool: Trying to hold out for a RX-V2800 or better for my next AVR.
Yeah... it was on AUTO. I changed it to HDMI, but I don't think it matters. All seems to work the same.

W
So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display? :blink: That's odd. That should be default, but I'd imagine there has to be a way to turn that on.
It changes to show MAIN VOLUME out beside the teeine weenie numbers, but that don't help me any. If they would make the numbers as big as the lettering on the MAIN VOLUME then I could probably read it. :huh:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I did some more tinkering and reading... no new news and no good news... same ole stuff.

I measured my non-eq'd response and my PEQ response tonight:

Blue = Non-EQ
Red = PEQ

Doesn't seem to do a whole lot really, except roll off the high end.

I'm really disappointed with the functionality of this unit. Yamaha has really dropped the ball IMO. Even though I like the sound, I still may sell it and go back to Denon.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No matter what I do... all I can get to show up is the MPCM .... I haven't seen any indication of DD or DTS yet. I have tried every possible setting tonight, but generally have resorted to AUTO for most of them.

·
828 Posts
The Toshiba DVD is sending DD, DTS, etc...... the receiver is not recognizing the signal thru HDMI, it could be the cable!! DVD player is 1.3 and the receiver is 1.2:dontknow: the receiver just cant read the info thru the HDMI, maybe using the digital input!!!:scratch::wits-end:
Hey Sonnie is your cable 1.3???

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah... it was on AUTO. I changed it to HDMI, but I don't think it matters. All seems to work the same.
And it should. I think the AUTO selection is fine. It gives preference to HDMI which should be what you normally want. This AUTO gives interesting possibilities. I've noticed that on my RX-V2500, if I do not have active audio coming in via S/PDIF (say the source was powered down) but do have active audio on two channel analog stereo going into the same overall input selection (say DVD) then AUTO automatically uses the two channel analog. I leave AUTO enabled unless I want to force things otherwise.

The point is that "Straight" is not really desireable unless you want a more "pure" path without any DSP stuff.

·
Registered
999 Posts
No matter what I do... all I can get to show up is the MPCM .... I haven't seen any indication of DD or DTS yet. I have tried every possible setting tonight, but generally have resorted to AUTO for most of them.
Hey that sounds like a source problem and not the AVR. Is the source set to output bitstream on HDMI for standard DVDs? Like the AUTO setting for HDMI on the Toshiba HD DVD players.

I doubt that there is such a thing as a HDMI 1.3 only cable. Any HDMI cable should work.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sonnie, that's a pretty nice overall FR before PEQ :clap: If you were somehow able to boost the 60-150hz range a bit, I think you would find a nice improvement in percieved bass sound quality :nerd:

Sounds like the 1700 is nothing but problems. From my point of view, I'm not interested in carrying audio/video over a single cable and won't be until the industry absolutely forces me to. That issue aside, it still sounds like there are problems. As I mentioned before, every receiver has its own idiosyncracies, and it seems that the ones in this unit are pretty annoying. If you were pleased with the Denon, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. The job of a receiver is to simplify things, not compound them :T

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Oh, by the way, any chance one of you guys could pop the hood and take a top down picture of the internals? I'm interested in finding out if the power supply, heat sinks, and capacitors are the same as in my unit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wuold be interested to see a graph comparing 'straight' mode to one of the cinema DSP modes, I've heard the DSP modes add some boost in the bass frequencies on the newer AVRs.

As Bob mentioned, check the Toshiba to see if DD/DTS bitstream is set to HDMI, I'm guessing its set to SPDIF at the moment.

Harry.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts