Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts

That’s one thing I really like about my ancient 3090 – a lighted LED on the volume knob that shows its position. ‘Course, I guess they don’t used motorized volume controls anymore...

Regards,
Wayne
I have a 3090 sitting in my lounge room system, and that LED on the volume is very handy.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
FWIW one MAJOR difference, to me anyway, between the 2500, 2600, 2700, 4600, and RX-9, and all the rest of Yamahas receivers, is that you only get manual access to the PEQ bands on these models.
Some of the lower models like the 1700 do give you a fixed multi-band Graphic EQ however.

AFAIK the only place Yamaha tells you this is in the manuals, and they are making .pdf's of them hard to find. I wonder why...

You'll hear "the 5xxx model sold in big box stores is the same as the Rxxxxx model sold through dealers" a lot. Basically true, BUT you will not get manual access to mutiband parametric EQ on the big box models.

·
Super Moderator
9,247 Posts

AFAIK the only place Yamaha tells you this is in the manuals, and they are making .pdf's of them hard to find. I wonder why...
I’ve noticed this too, since they re-designed their web site. A month or so ago someone gave me this link for manuals from the Canadian web site:
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Manuals.jsp#operating?from=support

You can find them on the US website, from this page. However, you do have to register to access them – nothing more than using an e-mail address and a password of your choice. Select “Manuals” from the drop-down box.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/Pages/Search/SearchDetail.aspx?CTID=5010050&CNTYP=PRODUCT

Don’t know about you guys, but they’ve been loading really slow for me for weeks.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well, I've decided to put my V1700 up for sale and go with the Denon 2807.... :huh:

If you know of anyone looking for a good deal on one... it's right! :yes:

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Well, I've decided to put my V1700 up for sale and go with the Denon 2807.... :huh:

If you know of anyone looking for a good deal on one... it's right! :yes:
Sonnie,

The obvious question -- why?

Do you already have the Denon? Have you compared it head to head with the Yamaha?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Features in a nutshell.

I've owned the 3805, 3806 and installed a couple of 2805's. A couple of things I like are larger volume display from my seat and independent crossovers for each channel. Another is a max volume setting that was handy to control my daughter's finger on the Volume Up button.

As far as sound... I really don't know. I don't remember much about the 2805's, other than the features. I only ever used the 3805 and 3806 as pre-pro's to my Earthquake amp. They were neutral in their sound IMO. I hope that it will at least still be neutral or on the warm side like the Yamaha, which as stated, I really like.

I know it sounds silly but those few features have really spoiled me and the volume view bugs me to no end.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sonnie,
Sorry to hear the Yamaha didn't work for you. But it sounds like you've had experiences with other equipment, which puts you in a good position to make these sorts of decisions. Bottom line is you've got to be comfortable with your equipment. These minor things can be very bothersome and who needs 'em. You'd think that by now and with a new generation of receiver each year, Yamaha would have these issues mastered :dontknow: . Let us know how the 2807 works out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
yes, please let us know what the 2807 gives up to the 1700 or vice versa.

I for one would like the multiple crossover settings for each channel as well. my HK does it, thanks to your info, now I know Denon has it too.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Features in a nutshell.

I've owned the 3805, 3806 and installed a couple of 2805's. A couple of things I like are larger volume display from my seat and independent crossovers for each channel. Another is a max volume setting that was handy to control my daughter's finger on the Volume Up button.
Yeah, I know how that is, to be spoiled on whatever little things you like, and then to have them taken away from you. It makes a difference. But independent crossovers for each channel is critical. I would not consider buying a pre/pro/receiver that locked me into a single crossover point for all channels. Max volume would be nice as my daughter gets bigger...

I know it sounds silly but those few features have really spoiled me and the volume view bugs me to no end.
No way! You know what you like, and there's nothing wrong with that!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks guys... I believe we have a comparison thread started between the 2807 and 1700, so I'll definitely update everyone with my thoughts between the two once I get the 2807 in hand.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A couple of things I like are larger volume display from my seat and independent crossovers for each channel.
I've read a few articles that suggest the independant crossovers can cause phase problems. Maybe someone with this feature could run some tests with REW and see if its possible to optimize the phase setting for more than one crossover frequency.

This one talks about it toward the bottom of the article. I have read others advising against it but I can't find them right now.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/feature-article-multiple-crossovers-9-2002.html

Good or not, a manufacturer can't afford not to have it when all the others have. I heard Anthem left it out of the D1 (i think) because they thought it was a bad idea but eventually had to offer a software upgrade because of all the customers requesting it be added.

Ideally the AVR would have a variable phase control for all channels, i suppose you could start playing around with speaker distance settings to tweak the crossover points.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The major channels I would like independent crossovers is between the sub and the remaining speakers. IOW, as long as I can set the crossover for the sub and then set another for the remaining speakers, I'm cool. I'm generally always going to set the 5.0 speakers to 80Hz, however I may want to set my sub at 90Hz or 100Hz, or possible 70Hz. The phase can be adjusted on most subs.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Be thoughtful with non-matching x-o's, or, regrettably, any x-o other than 80Hz.

Hakka has it right in his previous post #75. The article he links to by Colin Miller and Brian Florian should be required reading for anyone with a receiver or pre/pro capable of different x-o frequencies.

It's the audio article I most refer folks to -- by far.

It's very hard not to get upset by the bottom line, that you really need a block diagram of how your particular DSP chipset manipulates the LFE signal, and that even with such a block diagram you may be stuck using an 80Hz global x-o, and that even then you may have LFE signal truncation since the LFE channel is not brickwalled until 120Hz.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Manually adjusting the EQ bands is available in the HTR models.
You do get a 7 band EQ with fixed frequencies and no Q adjustment on at least some of the HTR models, similar to what Sonnie has on the 1700.

Compare, say, page 90 of the HTR-6090 manual:
http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/PDF_Files/HTR-6090_om.pdf
with page 89 of the RX-V2700 manual:
http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/owner_manuals/RX-V2700.pdf
(couldn't find a 2700 .pdf on a US site anymore -- pagination is different than the US manual in my hand in which the identical PEQ text appears on page 98).

Unless you have actually edited the PEQ's yourself on an HTR, I continue to believe that on the HTR's you have a choice of using the PEQ bands only as set automatically by the YPAO auto setup, or using the manual 7 band EQ instead.

J

·
0 Posts
I have read all the threads on the RX-V 1700. I am still not clear on the MPCM question discussed at length earlier. When using my PS3 player with blu-ray, Yamaha is also showing the MPCM in the display when playing the movies. Although the PS3 will show in its on screen display that it is in DTS, DD, etc, the Yamaha is showing the MPCM only. It sounds good but it makes me wonder if that is the best setting or if I have other choices with the receiver. Could/Should I use the DSP settings to improve it or to force DD or DTS?

·
Registered
999 Posts
...the Yamaha is showing the MPCM only. It sounds good but it makes me wonder if that is the best setting or if I have other choices with the receiver. Could/Should I use the DSP settings to improve it or to force DD or DTS?
Since the PS3 has the capability of doing Dolby TrueHD lossless codec decode internally you are best off letting the player (PS3) do the decode and use the uncompressed lossless multichannel linear PCM via HDMI to get the audio to your receiver.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts