Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I purchased a pre-owned Yamaha RX-681 AVR and have been trying it out in 2.0 before adding a center speaker.

I really like the sound for music w/ my 99db Klilpsch Forte speakers because of its vast soundstage, midrange clarity, and tight tuneful bass, but adding a timber matched Heresy for a center channel is not feasible because of space.
Now there is something captivating and organic about the sound for movies/TV/music with my Dynaudio Emit 10 monitors, so I'd like to build a multichannel system around these small monitor speakers set on Target Audio stands.

The question is this: The AVR is only 90wpc @ 8ohms with only 2 speakers and the 86db Dynaudios require me use the volume at -10 to -6 to get dialogue clarity on some programing, particularly British TV shows as an example. It can sound blaring at high volumes for effects and movies music at this volume. Will I have a problem adding a 85db Dynaudio Emit 25C center channel into the mix to add clarity to the dialogue. Can the Yamaha handle the extra load w/o adding and extra power amp. Lastly, it will be a long while before I can add a subwoofer because of my budget and not wanting to disturb the neighbors in our townhome community. The space is a 22'x18' living/dining room space in our townhome.

Thank you kindly,
Mike

·
Registered
DIY would be the theme here. Love the dedicated light controlled theater room.
135 Posts
Mike I think you should at least give it a try but I don't believe the receiver will be able to drive all three speakers to levels you're used to. The Emit 10's are 6 ohm and the 25C is a 4 ohm... that's really pushing the Yamaha even though the rcvr is rated at 4 and 6 ohm front and other.

As a reference I use way more amp than I need but... they run cool and I've never had a problem with heat on any of them. The hottest component I have is the Dennon RCVR and it's only driving the 4 surrounds. I wouldn't even think of running the 3 front off the rcvr.

What were your thoughts about an external amplifier? I didn't see any pre-outs on that 681.

Turn that volume knob up slow when you finally try it !! Best of luck.

Dave

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike I think you should at least give it a try but I don't believe the receiver will be able to drive all three speakers to levels you're used to. The Emit 10's are 6 ohm and the 25C is a 4 ohm... that's really pushing the Yamaha even though the rcvr is rated at 4 and 6 ohm front and other.

As a reference I use way more amp than I need but... they run cool and I've never had a problem with heat on any of them. The hottest component I have is the Dennon RCVR and it's only driving the 4 surrounds. I wouldn't even think of running the 3 front off the rcvr.

What were your thoughts about an external amplifier? I didn't see any pre-outs on that 681.

Turn that volume knob up slow when you finally try it !! Best of luck.

Dave
Thanks for your insight Dave. I assumed the AVR had pre-outs but I see it doesn't. I thought if it didn't work out I'd add the Emotiva Basx A3 140w x 3 power amp.
Being that it's iffy getting satisfying levels using Dynaudios, plus the 25c center would cost me $800 I'll have to rethink this. I hooked the Dyn Emit 10s to my Rega integrated and there is so much more clarity and punch compared to the Yammie that I'm not sure what to do. I'm really impressed and enjoy the sound of Dynaudio and was hoping to build upon it. I'm glad you intervened.

·
Registered
DIY would be the theme here. Love the dedicated light controlled theater room.
135 Posts
As for upgrades and moving forward making changes in gear... that 681 is limiting. In no way am I knocking it because it serves it's design purpose well. 7.2 4k hdmi with pre outs for the subwoofer. When you start wanting to do more and drive more with separates, the Yamaha can only do so much. I would think your Klipsch sound fine ( or any other very efficient speaker ). Start getting into the Dynaudio and my gut says they would love more power behind them. I've never heard them myself but I'm sure they sound beautiful.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sold the Klipsch which was a good match because of high efficiency. I may have to bite the bullet and try the Dyn center and see what shakes out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up selling the Yamaha AVR as I like the sound of my Rega Mira 3 much better so I'm using my loved Dynaudio Emit 10 in 2-channel for movies/TV.
I came across a pre-owned Andrew Jones Pioneer SW-8mkII 8" sub to try. It adds a larger fuller presentation, deeper tight bass, and integrates seamlessly w/ the Dynaudios not drawing any attention to itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts