Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Very clean, tidy setup. I like it with the new CC, how does the sound match up across the front stage?
Thanks. It's really good so far. Could be placebo, but there seem to be a better front stage presence. The dedicated Athena center was really a mismatch for the AS-F2, but the AS-F1 keeps up no problems. I'm going to try crossing the front 3 at 60Hz tonight to see how it sounds.

JP

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You should be OK with towers going to 60Hz I would think. With your subs up front and dead centre like that, a higher crossover shouldn't be noticable at all though (at least as far as localization) so if you do find that the towers are straining a bit more to reach the lower frequencies and your mids/highs are suffering for it, just experiment to see where the best blend is.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks! It was listed as having one bad channel, and I figured I could use a project to work on, so I thought I'd give it a try. Turned out to just have one fuse blown. Quickly fixed and now I'm free to tinker. Next project is going to be replacing the lighting with LEDs.

Right now I'm using it with some old mini-system speakers, and even with them it sounds pretty nice. FM needs a better antenna, but I was shocked at how good the AUX sounded with an iPod plugged in. Eventually I'll build some nice small speakers for it, and it will go to the garage. I'm thinking maybe something like full range 4" or maybe something with a coax tweeter, since space will be at a premium on the workbench. Have to do some research on those.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
I've been trying to decipher this code for a few days, just can't do it :huh: is it a code :scratch:
Yea, I'm with ya on that one. I can't figure it out either.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi folks,

First off, congrats to all the great setups on here. Secondly, my setup is very modest compare to some of the awesomeness on this forum. I didn't post this in the "home theater room" forum has this is not a dedicated room per say. We do have a formal living room so I'm pretty free to do as I please here but it's not the room I'm going to spend money in. My wife has been warned that in our next and final house, there will be a dedicated room. The rest of the house can be a giant shoe closet for all I care but Yoda must have a lair just for him.

Like many others, this is only the beginning of the pursuit of satisfaction...(yeah right, "satisfaction"). I still have quite a ways to go. A projector is a definite must, and new speakers are in my sight. But for now, it sounds pretty descent to me and my wife.

Denon AVR2311CI
Panasonic TC-P50S30
Sony BDP-S370
Sony PS3
Yamaha CDC-605

Athena Technologies,
AS-F2 (front)
AS-B1 (cntr)
P253 (srrnd)
AS-B1 (srrnd back)
Premier Acoustic PA-120 x 2

**Updated new pics at the bottom

Yes, feast your eyes out boys and girls, this is the very first "surround sound" experience Yoda as had. Notice the optimum placement of the speakers. Also, I have no clue why such a picture was taken. Please don't be jealous, I sold it to some millionaire.
Nice setup, from your early days to present!
My 1st venture into surround sound was a Curtis HTiB, funny how similar these two pics look.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wow, serious gears:D. Mine was a Craig, bought it at a hardware store. The sub was the amp, and it wasn't surround per say, just multi channel stereo. Although my Daytek DVD player had multichannel out, I don't think it was decoding anything.

Although on your pic, seems to be some kind of Sony ES receiver and any ES receivers are no slouch.

I went from that one to a RCA receiver based HTIB, then bought my some Athena speakers to go with the RCA receiver, ditch the RCA and bought a Pio VSX-520 and then, all **** broke loose:yikes: 2 more receiver before my current one, still Athena speakers but bigger, 3 set of subs before my current ones and all in a couple of years. Am I done?...nope :nono:

You are very resourceful as I would have never thought of the flower pot hanger (looks like that anyway) for surround mounting :T. I think I've seen it on the "other" forum.

cheers

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
^^^^^^
in particular order:D

1) Anthem MRX300. Local reputable dealer, ARC.
2) Onkyo 818. No local dealer, would have to be online. XT32
3) Denon 4311 if I could find one that I could afford locally, but very unlikely

I'm in no particular hurry but suspect I will only go so long with the tv speakers:mooooh:

I have 0 utilities for all the apps and streaming stuff and such.

opinion?

cheers

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I had a denon 4800 that I bought as a demo unit got my money's worth out of it about seven years even after running all day as a demo. So I was glad it lasted that long we watch a lot of movies. Recently got a integra 40.3 and have really liked it. So not much of a opinion other than I wouldn't worry about the denon being used.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts