Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Congrats on pulling the trigger and enjoy it.
Thanks, so far so good. Did my first run with ARC and came up with what I kind of expected for graphs. I'm going to do the "quick measure" function for my subs tonight to determine the best placement for them as it gives me real time reading. Kind like a sophisticated sub crawl :bigsmile:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Although on your pic, seems to be some kind of Sony ES receiver and any ES receivers are no slouch.

You are very resourceful as I would have never thought of the flower pot hanger (looks like that anyway) for surround mounting :T. I think I've seen it on the "other" forum.

cheers
The receiver was an entry level Pio VSX-816 I believe.

Thanks, I got the idea from a poster over at the Cnet forums a long time ago. I'm just throwing this picture up for others who may want to see or in need of alternative mounting ideas(not trying to jack your awesome thread).
from this - to this -

·
Registered
507 Posts
You're not highjacking notin', so don't even worry about it. It's a good idea and like you said, could help ppl who don't have the option of stands.

I was a little of with the Sony ES:yikes:
Thanks Yoda,

I appreciate your kind words and your thread. As for the Sony ES, easy mistake with the quality of that picture or lack of :thud: . I really need to get myself a better camera to take pictures of not only my gear but my almost 2yr old grandson.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Picked these up for $50. A little bit of dusting, pledge and fabric paint on the grill and not bad results.

They sound pretty descent. Great bass, good highs, a little ordinary in the mids. Overall very acceptable. Where you see the dry glue underneath the tweeter, it's suppose to be a small piece of diffusing or absorbing material which I will replace eventually.

cheers

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wow, serious gears:D. Mine was a Craig, bought it at a hardware store. The sub was the amp, and it wasn't surround per say, just multi channel stereo. Although my Daytek DVD player had multichannel out, I don't think it was decoding anything.
cheers
Hey there yoda...

It's been a while, was looking back and noticed I missed a very important piece of info in your reply (highlighted above).

Those shiny little silver mono speakers on top of our TV came from "The helpful place" , they were part of a Curtis DVD-5.1ss HTiB w/a passive 40w sub. Wife saw it on display during the 2005 Christmas holidays :spend: .
Thing is the playback part of the system was so terrible it was unusable (Xbox to the rescue). 1st upgrade was a true 7.1 receiver, never realizing the passive sub wouldn't work :yikes: . 2nd upgrade sub, for $25 buck I picked up a BassBite II 40w powered BOOM machine. It never stops, does it :help:

Nice find w/ those vintage speakers btw, how do they sound now?

hwy out

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Here's a few pics of some of my receivers. For some reason I can't explain, I have a fascination with receivers from the mid 80's to late 90's. I'm assuming that I'm compulsively acquiring what I couldn't afford in my teens :dontknow:

Technics SA-GX303 circa 1991
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Sony AVR-AV1010 circa 1989
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Sony AVR-AV970 circa 1991. I'm currently using this one.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

I would really like to get my hands on a JVC RX-1001V and a Technics SA-TX50 :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

This is what I had to do with my subs to get them "dialed" in properly.

The right sub was giving me a good response pretty much anywhere on the right side of the room, the left one, not so much. When I measured both together, I was getting a pretty big dip between 80hz and 50hz. Followed a member's recommendation on AVS and it actually worked for me to. I was able to get a descent read (red line) and ARC was able to flat things out pretty good (green line):clap:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks guys! I've pre ordered it last July. Its the first time I do something like that. I bought my PS3 1 year after launch. No regrets though, the machine is performing flawlessly so far. There has been some reports of a few problems, HDMI issues and cooling fan problems causing the machine to overheat.

I haven't game much yet but one of the biggest difference to me is the DS4. The little joystick have a better tactile feel (if it makes any sense). I don't know if its a fluke but the BD loading time is blazing fast. I tried 3 movies and all 3 loaded in less than 5 seconds, which for me is quite fast. I'll try some more and edit this if it proves incorrect.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts