Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Banned
440 Posts
Watched 'Angels & Demons' last night on Blu.

I guess I was expecting more, because it just didn't work for me. :rolleyesno: A big mess of a film :eek: , next...
Well I brought the region 2 DVD several months back and was think, oh, wow this is great its epic it’s a must see. I was wrong because I’ve only watched it once!

I watched The DaVinci Code, too many times and thought that was the best of the series. I might buy the Bluray soon, but skip on Angles and Demons on Bluray and just but different title that will be watched or viewed on regular basis, rather gather dust, which is what A&D is good enough for.:rofl2:

· Banned
440 Posts
Cliffhanger and I’ve still not gotten the replacement region B Bluray as the left and right fronts and split-surrounds are reversed)!
Now then!

This would have been a common issue in the early days of Hi-Fi stereo VHS tapes and the odd very few laserdisc titles.

And I have experienced reversed only split-surrounds on Star Trek original motion picture collection region 2 DVD and I’m willing to bet, 1pence it’s the same issue on Bluray region B.

It’s only on Star Trek IV The Voyage Home (1986) the one with whales! So listen up! Reverse the surround cables or simpler with RCA has it only takes a few seconds to re-plug the surrounds.

Its highly noticeable when the bird of pray goes to warp speed, leaping of front left then passing onto right surround, WRONG! It should be left as it was heard on 70mm at the Empire Leicester Square in THX 20 years ago. I have good ear and memory when it comes to sound, in the movies.

Anyway Cliffhanger, I’d be very careful what version you, pick up. (Optimum releasing UK) was aware of the issue last year and has since produced correct versions, but there are still some dodgy versions in circulation so lookout!

Maybe I’ll give them another call because I’m not taking a chance at getting a copy that has come from the warehouse that is first edition. I, have very short fuse temper!

Other than that, the menu was cool on the film which I, liked superimposed over the movie action. The extras are from the Pioneer laserdisc collection early 1990’s which I twigged onto when watching the extras. Only the laserdisc would cost many times more then the Bluray.

The whites where whiter and peaked nicely over the DVD which I have for compassion. The film is uncut and very brutal, over previous early VHS rental to PAL laserdisc and DVD.

The scene where Gabe (Sylvester Stallone) slugs it out a few rounds in the icy cave with Kynette (Leon) is funny. I’m going to ask you one more time. Where is the money (bleep, bleep, bleep) then gets garbed by his short comes and shoved into razor shape icicle! and hangs in there for few moments longer than the DVD where its just, grab, shove and thud!

Plus when Qualen (John Lithgow) goes a bit OTT and does Kristel (Caroline Goodall) in the back with three shots, instead of two for DVD.

I hope (Optimum releasing UK) sees fit enough to do Cutthroat Island soon as the DVD is badly cut-up with some silly edits because the BBFC can’t stomach the violence. At least I have the NTSC THX laserdisc, still.

The slam of the explosions the softness clarity of spoken dialogue over tweeting birds and the atmospheric sound of the outdoors is crystal clear on this, I wish it was Dolby! But dtsHDMA.

Why dtsHDMA and not DolbyTure since this was released in Dolby stereo SR and six-track Dolby SR, why don’t they just remove the Dolby SR logo from the end credits, sigh.

I’m going to pretend this was in DolbyTrue because I feel insulted that we should be given DolbyTure and dtsHDMA and Dolby will be played here!

They should keep dts with those early Jurassic Park films as the film was released in dts, but, wasn’t that a Dolby stereo SR-D logo I saw on one of the PAL or was it DVD titles?

SIGH….

· Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I brought the region 2 DVD several months back and was think, oh, wow this is great its epic it’s a must see. I was wrong because I’ve only watched it once!

I watched The DaVinci Code, too many times and thought that was the best of the series. I might buy the Bluray soon, but skip on Angles and Demons on Bluray and just but different title that will be watched or viewed on regular basis, rather gather dust, which is what A&D is good enough for.:rofl2:
I also like 'The Da Vinci Code', but ever so slightly. And there is NO WAY I'm getting that one either on Blu.
As far I'm concern, these two films directed by Ron Howard, can gather all the Illuminati dust in the world, at the video store; certainly not in my home.

· Banned
440 Posts
I also like 'The Da Vinci Code', but ever so slightly. And there is NO WAY I'm getting that one either on Blu.
As far I'm concern, these two films directed by Ron Howard, can gather all the Illuminati dust in the world, at the video store; certainly not in my home.
Why does it have Too Much Green :D in certain parts because I have to watch it again on DVD before parting my money?

· Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why does it have Too Much Green :D in certain parts because I have to watch it again on DVD before parting my money?
Hey Andy, are you referring to 'The Da Vinci Code' on DVD as having a kind of drab greenish color palette?
Or are you asking about the Blu-ray version?

My take: You love the movie, and you intend to watch it at least few more times; get the Blu-ray.
You like both movies (incl. 'Angels & Demons), but are not sure if you will rewatch them at least couple times; don't bother with the Blu-ray versions, or even the DVDs.

* Often we collect things that we are not really taking advantage of, just because we think we should have it.
Music & Films is about true physical & emotional replay value.
It's the same with a life partner, in a relationship, in a marriage, with a good friend, with family, with kids...

· Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The last three Blu-rays that I just watched:

* 'Australia'. Gorgeous picture, great audio soundtrack and fine story.

* 'Public Enemies'. Ok, but disappointing experience due to a too low level from the dialog channel.

* 'Monsters vs Aliens'. Great popping colors, amazing audio soundtrack and cool for kids (with a PG rating though).

Bob

· Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
About 'Public Enemies' on Blu-ray, I do love this film quite a lot to be honest.
And it has my highest recommendation.

* Nobody reviewed it yet here at the Shack though.

My personal quick take:
* Video: :3.5stars:
* Audio: :3.5stars:
* Film: :3.5stars:
* Acting: :3stars:
* Extras: :3.5stars:

Overall: :3.5stars:

· Registered
384 Posts
I was trying to watch Ghost in the Shell 2 but couldn't stay awake. I think it was a combination of the drone of the Japanese audio (which I don't understand) and having to read the subtitles.

It being the Christmas season, I decided to put on Polar Express.
I stayed awake through that one :)
(Both DVD)

· Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Just rewatched 'Monsters vs Aliens', mainly for the superb Dolby TrueHD audio soundtrack, but also for the nice colors.

* Tonight, I'll give another viewing at the Blu-ray of 'Public Enemies'.
That one has a DTS-HD MA audio soundtrack, with machine guns blaring all across. :bigsmile:
And I just love to look at the very beautiful eyes of Marion Cotillard. ...I think I'm in love, again... :)

--> Here's a tip: being close to Christmas now, it is a tradition of mine, at this time of the year,
to always watch "Young Frankenstein". So I do recommend that movie to all members, preferably on Blu,
but the DVD would also do. :bigsmile:

Bob

· Banned
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Last night I did rewatch 'Public Enemies' on Blu. I think I like it more this second time around. :)

* But I did notice some picture's imperfections, so I downgraded my score for Video accordingly, a 3.5 stars.
...I also readjusted all the other parameters.

· Registered
175 Posts
I watched Public Enemies on BluRay. The dialog is pretty soft so if you crank up the volume enough to hear the voices the tommy guns will rock the room. We have decent 12" sub that sits about 4 feet from the couch (corner loaded) and you can really feel it. My wife and I enjoyed the movie. The extras that explained how much of an advantage the criminals had over law enforcement was very interesting.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.