1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I really mean this -- but why are people down on this driver? I'm not trying to say it's good, but I'm curious as to why folks are down on it. Is it because it doesn't go down to 20hz? Or do people think it's not clean down to some particular point?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For that price.. pass me the Shiva-X. :)

Matt
The Shiva-X specs pretty close to this driver and cost a couple dollars more. Are you saying that price alone would make you choose the Shiva over this driver? Based model posted above, wouldn't Shiva model about the same as this driver?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
If I was to pay 200 bucks for a 12, I would spend a couple more dollars and go with the Acoustic Elegance or some other like the Shiva, just because a lot more people have used them...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
What you guys think of using these drivers in a sealed or pr setup? They remind me of tc3k's or older tc 3hp drivers.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-100
They are nothing like a TC Sounds driver. This is like comparing a Ferrari to Ford. They both do the job, but compared to TC Sounds there really isn't a better home theater driver for a standard build. Of course TC Sounds driver cost a lot more, but still the Ultra had the highest measurements in Illka's tests at 20hz.

I think going from a TC Sounds TC3000 to anything other than an TC Sounds Ultra or Axis would be a step down in almost every case.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It does not have the low distortion motor of the shiva and it does not model well sealed.

It looks like a nice driver but the shiva is proven and is only a little more coin.

Matt

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Couple of things need clarifying here. These were made by TC Sounds for Klipsch. They are listed as having a double shorting ring in the motor. Since that is the case the xmax figure is likely accurate (TC's are one of the few that I trust without second guessing) and there is probably quite a bit of extra xmech after that. There is no reason to believe that the Shiva X has less distortion in light of this without measurement data on either one. The nature of the motor and voice coil lead me to believe that this driver would have TC's normal level of ruggedness and thermal power handling. This is a good robust 12" driver probably in the same league as the Shiva X perhaps dare I say, possibly besting it in a few areas.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Couple of things need clarifying here. These were made by TC Sounds for Klipsch. They are listed as having a double shorting ring in the motor. Since that is the case the xmax figure is likely accurate (TC's are one of the few that I trust without second guessing) and there is probably quite a bit of extra xmech after that. There is no reason to believe that the Shiva X has less distortion in light of this without measurement data on either one. The nature of the motor and voice coil lead me to believe that this driver would have TC's normal level of ruggedness and thermal power handling. This is a good robust 12" driver probably in the same league as the Shiva X perhaps dare I say, possibly besting it in a few areas.
Awesome info Josh! I wish I had an extra 200.oo laying around. :) My buddy has the 10in Klipsch sub and it is impressive for a 10. Even dispite being a ported design. :bigsmile:

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty sure that woofer is made by Peerless. I think it's a "super heavy duty" Peerless XLS/XXLS made for Klipsh. It looks exactly like what's used in the "Klipsch THX Ultra2 KW-120-THX Subwoofer - 500 Watt." The Sub (sub, amp and box) sells for about $1,500.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts