Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I'm trying to build my HT system and now I'm designing the sub-woofer system (I have another thread for the driver and the enclosure).

My first option was a Yung SD500 amp plate. I liked this because it is a class D amp, it has variable phase and looks nice.

But after investigating more and reading more threads, I found the Behringer NU1000DSP iNuke stand alone amp. From my point if found several advantages, for example: Class D, double the power vs Yung, DSP processor and price is about the same vs Yung amp plate.

but there are some points that I don't like about the iNuke:

Appearance, I really don't like the outer design, not really and issue, because I could place hidden in a cabinet, but I have a question, can it be placed inside a cabinet?

Fan noise, I read in other threads that the fan is very noisy, but also that there is a way to change it for a different with lower noise. Is it better after changing the fan? If this is a Class D amp, why they need a fan?

Also, I have some questions regarding the operation of the iNuke.

Can any of the x-over of DSP be used as a subsonic filter?

What's the input signal sensitivity? can it be driven by HT receiver LFE output for example a Yamaha? I read that in some case signal driver is needed.

Does it have an auto-on feature?

Is it a remote included?

Could any owner help me an reply? I would appreciate any help.

I would like to have as much information as possible in order to take the best decision

Regards!

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
1. fan noise. haven't heard them myself on the 1000, but the 3000 is like a jet engine, fan mod makes them dead silent
2. if you're getting the Inuke 1000 dsp the lowest hpf is a 20h one

3. not sure about the sensitivity, it's more about the voltage output on your receiver though
4. no auto on, no remote, turned on by a switch on the front since it's a pro amp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. fan noise. haven't heard them myself on the 1000, but the 3000 is like a jet engine, fan mod makes them dead silent
2. if you're getting the Inuke 1000 dsp the lowest hpf is a 20h one

3. not sure about the sensitivity, it's more about the voltage output on your receiver though
4. no auto on, no remote, turned on by a switch on the front since it's a pro amp.
Thanks a lot for your reply Mike

I saw several reviews in different places about the fan noise, but if there is a solution, then is not a big deal

Regarding the hpf of 20 Hz, I think that is too high if I will be running the SI HT18 sub-woofer. Is it safe running it with out subsonic filter?

Regarding the sensitivity issue, the Yamaha receiver specs says it has 1V, but I'm not sure if the iNuke can handle that low voltage

About auto on, what about using a power conditioner with siwtched outlets? this way the receiver can be used as the master and turn on the amp. Can it be done?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
1v is cutting it close, but it should be enough

the hpf should only be bypassed if you're doing sealed. I would NOT run a ported sub without a HPF

not sure about the power conditioner. never tried that

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1v is cutting it close, but it should be enough

the hpf should only be bypassed if you're doing sealed. I would NOT run a ported sub without a HPF

not sure about the power conditioner. never tried that
mmm, could you please help me to find oout what would be the best option to add a HPF on this set up? I mean, with the i nuke?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Thanks again

May I ask why the balanced one and not the unbalanced? the unbalanced one is cheaper :)
Most consumer receivers don't put out enough voltage to drive pro amps to full power. The unbalanced only puts out .9 volts. The nukes require more. You could get a low sensitivity amp like the peavey ipr2 3000 but it would cost more. The IPR 1600 would work too

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most consumer receivers don't put out enough voltage to drive pro amps to full power. The unbalanced only puts out .9 volts. The nukes require more. You could get a low sensitivity amp like the peavey ipr2 3000 but it would cost more. The IPR 1600 would work too
Great

Thanks for the explanation

I think i will go for the balanced one. I did some research and i could not find a better option ib terms of price/specs

I don't know why the Behringer with DSP can't be adjusted below 20 hz. If it were possible takes would be perfect

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Great

Thanks for the explanation

I think i will go for the balanced one. I did some research and i could not find a better option ib terms of price/specs

I don't know why the Behringer with DSP can't be adjusted below 20 hz. If it were possible takes would be perfect
Yeah the mini DSP is a nice device. The reason a lot of pro amp dsp's don't go below 20 hz because in a pro environment most sub's or speakers don't drop below 30 hz or so. Even some non DSP pro amps have a 20 hz hpf built in. Us home theater nuts have to use devices like the mini DSP and pro amps without a high hpf to get sub sonic LFE

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the mini DSP is a nice device. The reason a lot of pro amp dsp's don't go below 20 hz because in a pro environment most sub's or speakers don't drop below 30 hz or so. Even some non DSP pro amps have a 20 hz hpf built in. Us home theater nuts have to use devices like the mini DSP and pro amps without a high hpf to get sub sonic LFE
Thanks, you've been very helpful!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Purely from an input sensitivity stand point the inuke DSP isn't as picky as the non dsp version if you havn't got enough output voltage earlier in the signal chain.
Seeing as the dsp version has a dsp between the input and amplifier stage you can just add a litte boost or gain to the weak input signal and have enough voltage after the dsp to fully drive the amp.

But seeing as you need HPF lower than the dsp can offer you would be better off with another dsp unit that can perform the HPF you need.
But if you choose the non-dsp inuke you will have to ensure you have enough voltage to drive the input stage of the inuke fully.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Purely from an input sensitivity stand point the inuke DSP isn't as picky as the non dsp version if you havn't got enough output voltage earlier in the signal chain.
Seeing as the dsp version has a dsp between the input and amplifier stage you can just add a litte boost or gain to the weak input signal and have enough voltage after the dsp to fully drive the amp.

But seeing as you need HPF lower than the dsp can offer you would be better off with another dsp unit that can perform the HPF you need.
But if you choose the non-dsp inuke you will have to ensure you have enough voltage to drive the input stage of the inuke fully.
Thanks Henke

I will go with iNuke without DSP and also i will get the mini dsp as per other recommendation

1 - 15 of 15 Posts