Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Zaph Audio ZA5.5tt build. Can't say I have seen anyone build these?

And so it begins.

3/4" MDF all cut.

I am welcome to all advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
:D

I am absolutely subscribing to this thread. This is gonna be a great build and I look forward to your subjective impressions. Make sure the tweeter is built at ear height.

John Krutke did say he's sold thousands of ZA14s already. I think the reality is a lot of people DIY but don't showcase.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome!!! I was interested in building the ZDT3.5, but I just realized there is this ZA5.5tt. I don't want to high jack the thread but does anyone know which one would have better bass extension? The 2 7" from the ZD3.5 or the 4 5" from the ZA5.5 ? Which one would be on the higher end overall?

I have been looking at some pics and the mmtmm look awesome!! I can't wait o see more pictures on this build! :jump:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Awesome!!! I was interested in building the ZDT3.5, but I just realized there is this ZA5.5tt. I don't want to high jack the thread but does anyone know which one would have better bass extension? The 2 7" from the ZD3.5 or the 4 5" from the ZA5.5 ? Which one would be on the higher end overall?

I have been looking at some pics and the mmtmm look awesome!! I can't wait o see more pictures on this build! :jump:
IIRC you can tune the ZA5.5s to around 45hz or so, whereas the ZDT3.5 is tuned around 40hz. not a big difference.

What the ZA5.5 will likely do however, is play significantly louder.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will stary my build in a couple weeks ! sorry folks.

1) I am building my other MFW-15 clone sub that I can post pics of. It is a project that I copied from someone on another forum.

2) I need to source a router table. Trying to borrow one from someone or I may just get that Craftsman Prof. one.

3) I just purchased an Emotive XPA-3 to power these !!! Its on its way.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can anyone suggest how to build a cheap router table that will work well.

I don't want to buy a POS craftmen router table. I know they have some at 50 bucks but they just seem like junk. I also dont have funds to spend 300 on a nice one right now. I need to build a work bench trying to think how I can incorporate a router table into it and have some sort of adjustable fence...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry for the no-response. I did see the pics. It looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much does a sub like that costs to build?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i sourced the drivers for 75 dollars. Sheet of MDF is about 30.

Of course you need an Amp, table saw, clamps, router, router circle jig etc.

that being said, they are great for the price sure you could spend a lot more but for a budget these rock my house.

after a while i plan to build some sealed 15's or something like that and see how they compare. I like HT stuff.

I am not building the subs for "music" or a 2.1 system.

I do hope I can play some good 2 channel music with the zaph 2.5MMTMM

·
Registered
12 Posts
They certainly look very nice. If I were to make a modification, I would try to round off all corners to be curves. This really helps to reduce edge defraction, which hard sharp corners generate. You may notice how cabinets are becoming more 'aerodynamic'. It sounds better.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I cant wait till build pix and opinions. Im currently saving up for the full 7.1 build using the whole zaph audio build kit line. But kinda nervous about spending so much on a build that i haven't heard a lot of comments and opinions about. Looking forward to this build good job!!!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've been a toss up on which way I want to go also. It's either going to be the NatP or the za5.5. Choices choices!!

Saw the pics of your mfw build. Looking good so far !!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've been planning to build a NatP or Modula MTM front stage, but I'll have to look some more into these. Is it me, or have there not been very many new designs out lately? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but it seemed like 3 - 5 years ago there was a lot more happening in DIY speaker design.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts