Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search about this but it won't let me search for a term as short as "H4". Does anyone have any experience with using a Zoom H4 recorder in USB I/O mode with REW, either with an ECM8000 (which I planned to use) or maybe even it's own built in microphones (which are some pretty good mics). I'm looking for as portable a solution as possible for REW. I've played around a little with it, but some functions of the windows mixer disappear when using WDM drivers with the Zoom, and I already know that the ASIO drivers won't work. I'm having a tough time finding something that works. I've got an Mbox 2 Mini (ASIO drivers only - won't work), a Presonus FirePod (Firewire, ASIO - won't work either), an old SB0270 (can't find drivers for it, and would need a separate preamp and power supply anyway), and the Zoom (which has preamps and phantom but can't get it to work either). Also, it looks like a Tascam US-144 might be what I need, from what I've read here. I'll buy one if someone here will please verify for me that it will that it will work 100%. Maye I can justify it, if I convince myself that I'll use it as another recording toy (I'm just an old, retired, audio/video guy and now this stuff is just for fun instead of work). Happy New Year Everybody! Thanks.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, Mike!
I'm looking for as portable a solution as possible for REW.
Well, IMO that would be a basic soundcard with a Galxay CM-140 SPL meter, if you intend to do full-range measurements. What you’re proposing, either with the Zoom or Tascam, you have to also have a measurement mic (doesn’t sound like you’ve bought that yet) and the SPL meter – three pieces of gear vs. two.

Not to mention, you can get a basic sound card and the Galaxy for well under $200. Even with the cheaper Tascam option you mentioned, all three pieces will cost well over $200.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I already have an ECM8000 that I got last week, and I have an old Radio Shack 33-2050 level meter that I've had for probably 20 years that still seems to work fine, but I just don't trust it's frequency response for full range measurements (even with cal files) after all this time. That's why I got the 8000 new. What I'm looking for is the easiest way to use the 8000 without having to lug around a separate preamp and power supply, or little mixer, and all that. I guess my main question is which USB interface (I have trouble calling it a sound "card" since a card is internal to a desktop computer) with mic level inputs and phantom power, will work best with REW?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Well, it’s unlikely anyone can definitively tell you which one is best, because I doubt anyone has gone out and purchased a dozen different makes and models and put them through their paces. That said, I understand that several people have had good luck using various M-Audio interfaces. Aside from that, your best bet will be to dig through the threads on both this and the REW Forum and find examples of successfully USB interface utilizations (you’ll know that happened when they give us an REW graph), then decide which of the successful ones are viable for your application.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts