How To Properly Set Up Your Sony PS3 as a Blu-Ray Player - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Blu-ray | DVD | Disc Media Players
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 67102 - Replies: 32  
Old 03-02-12, 03:46 PM   #1
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System
I started this thread.
How To Properly Set Up Your Sony PS3 as a Blu-Ray Player

How To Properly Set Up Your Sony PS3 as a Blu-Ray Player

Sony's PS3 uses a menu interface called XrossMediaBar (XMB™). Along the horizontal row are the categories and the the vertical rows contain the sub menu items.

You'll want to navigate to 'Settings' in the Horizontal row. Then navigate down to 'Video Settings'. There are several items that will need attention here. We will list each and our recommended setting.

Video Settings

BD Internet Connection

When you put a blu-ray disc in, your PS3 will connect to the internet to look for updated content for that particular disc.

Recommended - Allow

BD/DVD Cinema Conversion

If the video content has been recorded using the interlaced format, this option allows you to select how the PS3 will convert the content. This will mainly apply to DVD content. Automatic will allow the PS3 to detect and select the best conversion mode automatically.

Recommended - Automatic

BD/DVD Upscaler

Content that has been encoded using the standard definition format can be upscaled. But which one to choose? There are four options here. Off is self explanatory. Double Scale will double the horizontal and vertical resolutions. This can result in a softer, blurry look to the content. Full Screen stretches the content to fit. Normal will set the conversion to match your screen size.

Recommended - Normal

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)

One of the settings under this menu item is labeled 'Automatic'. Normally you would think that this would be the best option but in this case it isn't. There have been reports of the PS3 having difficulty determining what the color space should be set to. Therefore it's best to set the color space according to the display you are using - RGB for a monitor and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr for a HDTV.

Recommended - Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr for TVs, RGB for PC monitors.

BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)

This relates to the frame rate or refresh rate of your display. Blu-ray generally delivers 24 frames per second. But your display may not support this rate. Therefore it's best to set this option to 'Automatic' and let the PS3 decide what the best option is for your display.

Recommended - Automatic

BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control

This control concerns audio, particularly when you are watching a blu-ray at a low volume level. What it is supposed to do is boost the dialogue portion of the sound. However it has been found to boost other portions as well. Therefore we recommend leaving this option 'Off'.

Recommended - Off

BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)

Recommended - Linear PCM (PS3 Fat)
Recommended - Bitstream (PS3 Slim)

BD/DVD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)

Recommended - Bitstream

Display Settings

Navigate out of Video Settings and go down to Display Settings.

RGB Full Range (HDMI)

Limited conforms to the HD video standard, 16-235.

Recommended - Limited

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)

This setting will give you deeper blacks and brighter whites if your display supports a Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr signal via HDMI. Even if your display doesn't it won't cause any undue effect.

Recommended - On

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-12, 04:54 AM   #2
Shackster

Since: Dec 2010
Re: How To Properly Set Up Your Sony PS3 as a Blu-Ray Player

Thanks for the guide. I've often wondered about some of those settings (super white). Quick question, why the different hdmi audio recommendations for slim and original? I assume all these recommendations come from trial and error, is there actually an audible difference here? Anywho, thanks again.

Old 03-05-12, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Shackster

Since: Oct 2011
Belgium
My System

PS3 Fat cannot bitstream HD-audio. The PS3 Slim can. However you need a receiver with HD-audio decoders. If you don't then PCM is also the way to go for the Slim

PS Audio • Marantz • Oppo • ALR/Jordan • Velodyne • inakustik • Furutech • JVC • Stewart

Chamber of Dreams
Finished room
How it was made
Equipment

Old 03-05-12, 02:18 PM   #4
Senior Shackster

Since: Sep 2010
Canada
My System

yeah, in the end it will be pcm anyway, but people like to see the little light on the front of the avr that says "DTS Master Audio" or "Dolby Digital TrueHD", which means the avr is decoding the raw audio stream (bitstream) into pcm. The Fat PS3 cannot pass this stream, so it will decode it and pass it to the avr as pcm. You should hear the same quality regardless Thanks to the OP for this post.

HT (7.1): Yamaha RX-V565|Energy Take FPS X 3|V-S Surround X2|Take LCR X 2|DIY TRIO12|DIY SDX12|PS3|Wii|47" LG LCD|Bell Aliant FiberOp HDTV
Living Room (2.1): Yamaha RX-V863|Energy RC-70 X 2|Monitor Audio RX-w12|Turtle Beach Micro II USB Sound Card|Compaq Presario Laptop Newtworked for FLAC Streaming

Old 03-05-12, 02:31 PM   #5
Elite Shackster

engtaz
Since: Jul 2010
Tampa, FL
My System

Thank you very much for taking the time to post all the pics and descriptions. I appreciate the tips giving.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.

Old 03-07-12, 02:09 PM   #6
Shackster

Since: Dec 2010
My System

Thanks for taking the time to do all the screen shots. I think I have all of those settings but I'll check when I get home tonight.

I have the older PS3 fat 60GB and HDMI so I use the LPCM as the audio output format.. I hope that the audio quality is not affected in any way when the "DTS Master Audio" or "Dolby Digital TrueHD" signals are converted to LPCM as caper26 stated.. I'd rather not have to get an OPPO BR player..

Old 09-14-12, 05:13 AM   #7
Shackster

Since: Mar 2012

Thank you. This is really helpful. I will give this a try.

Old 09-19-12, 11:16 AM   #8
Elite Shackster

Since: Aug 2008

Nice guide One thing however is that my PS3 also has an option for deep colour output, and this isnt in your guide.

Old 09-19-12, 01:33 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

Wryker
Since: Jan 2009
Nashvegas

I prefer to keep the Internet Connection to "not allow" since it slows down the load time of the disc and I have no desire to download pics, wallpapers, etc for the movie I'm about to watch. So if you are like me and don't care about those things turn it off for faster load/access.
I also prefer to set the 1080p/24 to "on" since some discs will not automatically output at 24 when they 'can'. For the records I have the original FAT PS3.

Old 09-19-12, 09:27 PM   #10
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System
I started this thread.

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Nice guide One thing however is that my PS3 also has an option for deep colour output, and this isnt in your guide.
Set to automatic Dan. Good to see you again!

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Blu-ray | DVD | Disc Media Players »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »