Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone ;) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 76434 - Replies: 64  
Old 11-26-10, 06:16 PM   #11
Senior Shackster

Since: Jul 2006
I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
Tapped Horns

Tapped Horns are best though of as an extension of the OD Horn.

The key differences are that there is no Rear Chamber, and the second side of the driver taps into the horn as well. If you have made it this far reading straight through, there is nothing really more to add, as you should have no problems with the inputs. The Loudspeaker Wizard can be used with a TH setting.

Design parameters are out of the scope of this thread, but simply remember the length of the horn determines how low it will go, and the distance from the Rear Tap to the Throat is what fills in the dips, not the Rear Tap to Mouth distance.

If you are flush mounting the driver you do not need the Vtc/Atc & Ap1/Lpt parameters.
If you are mounting the driver to the rear of the baffle/horn wall you will need at least the Vtc/Atc added.

Last edited by soho54; 02-21-11 at 10:04 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-10, 06:16 PM   #12
Senior Shackster

I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
Rear Loaded Horns

A Rear Loaded Horn is simply a Normal horn with no Rear Chamber. Really that is all it is. Instead of a Rear Chamber the driver is mounted externally, and you get the sum of the horn and drivers response.

To build one you do the exact same things as the Normal Horn builds (Simple or Advanced,) and just leave the Rear Chamber off. You must then use the Combined Response Graph to get the true FR.

Note: Here I am using the cheat to allow the use of a single segment horn in the Loudspeaker Wizard.

Last edited by soho54; 01-04-11 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-26-10, 06:17 PM   #13
Senior Shackster

I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
Compound Horns

A Compound Horn is an enclosure with horn loading on each side of a driver. It is selected by changing the Default Nd to CH.

When you select this option there are several changes to the program. First S1-S4 the first three segments are set aside for the main horn, but you may us as little as one segment. You are also allowed a Throat Chamber for it Vtc & Atc, and a Throat Adapter for it Ap1 & Lpt.

The second horn is given the last segment S4-S5, and the Rear Chamber (Vrc & Lrc) becomes it's Throat Chamber.

The loudspeaker Wizard is not allowed with this alignment. You must also use the Combined Response graph with this setup, and the default graph only shows the main horn output.

This is a pic that will allow you to get the feel for it, and identify the component locations with the schematic. The demo horn is not a good design by any means. It's only purpose is to make the areas standout.

Last edited by soho54; 02-21-11 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-26-10, 06:18 PM   #14
Senior Shackster

I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
Bandpass Enclosures

There is a lot to tuning a Bandpass enclosure, so I am not going to get into that right now. I will just show how to set them up. They just build upon what you have already learned in the sealed, and two vented lessons.

I want to stress that these are not super tweaked example. They are just good enough to get the idea across.

Here is a 4th Order Single Reflex BP. It has one sealed chamber, and one vented chamber.

Here is a 6th Order Dual Reflex BP. It has a vented chamber on each side of the driver.

You could also do the Dual Reflex BP as a Compound Horn.

Using the TH setting you can do a Quasi-6th Order Series-Tuned BP as well.
or

Last edited by soho54; 11-26-10 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-26-10, 06:19 PM   #15
Senior Shackster

I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
IB Setups

IB setups are pretty easy to do.

If it is to be flush mounted just sim a sealed enclosure at least 10x the combined drivers Vas. This time we will use two drivers.

To do a manifold build, use an OD setting. Create a sealed rear chamber that is at least 10x the combined drivers Vas. The manifold opening needs to be at least as much as the combined Sd of the drivers. The driver is ~32cm wide, so will will make the manifold this deep, and split the depth between L12 & L23.

Last edited by soho54; 11-27-10 at 12:39 AM..

Old 11-26-10, 06:44 PM   #16
Senior Shackster

I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
Re: Hornresp for Dumb... hmm... Everyone ;)

I'm going to fill the rest in over the next few days, so it should all be here before the 29th.

That's Nov 2010.

Old 11-26-10, 08:22 PM   #17
Shackster

radman12
Since: Jul 2008

thanks a million soho!

Old 11-26-10, 08:38 PM   #18
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Since: Aug 2010
Calgary

Sweet! Thanks! Horn resp looks like a very powerful program

Old 11-26-10, 11:51 PM   #19
Senior Shackster

Jeremy
Since: Dec 2009
Eastend, SK, Canada

As always, nice work thus far Soho

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
Horn resp looks like a very powerful program
It is indeed - I can't remember the last time I even touched Bassbox Pro, WinISD, or Unibox.

Old 11-28-10, 01:01 AM   #20
Senior Shackster

I ain't tellin ya!
I started this thread.
Re: Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone ;)

OK, I have everything pretty much in place now.

Some of the sections seem a little slim, but the idea is to show how to use the program, and not how to do a perfect example of each alignment. I feel it may get a little overwhelming if it is added here. I also didn't want to keep going over the basics in every post. I wanted it to kind of build up as you went along.

Tell me what you guys think. What should be added, expanded upon, or removed? I'm walking the fine line between not enough and too much information.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »