Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Shiva X Extended Bass Shelf

62K views 51 replies 11 participants last post by  jvinhj240 
#1 ·
I have a pair of Shiva X's which I am going to use in my new three way speaker system (when we get the new house built) & I was wondering if they could be used in an extended bass shelf design.
I don't listen to music or movies at high levels but would like to get a bit deeper bass.
My current amp is the Pioneer VSX 710 and I rarely get it above -45.

This is what I was thinking

See less See more
#15 ·
Thanks Mike,

I will send them an email to find out pricing and delivery. (the delivery might put it over budget as they are 500 miles away)
I haven't seen any builds like I'm contemplating so I might just go ahead anyway and see how it turns out.

It would definitely work. What will you power the Shiva-X's with? Have you figured out the dimensions of the box to see how big that is?
I sketched out the size of the internal baffles and you're right, it's going to be BIG.
However, I checked the corner of the room behind the tv and there is enough room.

#3 · (Edited)
Re: Shiva X extended bass shelf

The pioneer has a sub amp built in, mono only, with adjustable gain for all speakers.
It's only a stop gap measure to utilise these till we get the new place built with dedicated room,
The pioneer is 120 Watt per channel. I tried to get it tuned as low as possible as I don't know if the amp has any LPF built in to prevent over-excursion.
As for the box, I have no real plans yet, I would consider getting a sonotube to minimize footprint.
A large box won't fit in the room as it is. I had contemplated using the fireplace and chimney.... but a sonotube may be the best bet as we currently have ten foot ceilings.

#4 ·
Re: Shiva X extended bass shelf

You mean a high pass filter, you probably won't be needing one with this setup. If you're planning for future use, the sub will handle 360 watts with Xmax being reached at just under 12 hz. Porting will have to be a 6 inch diameter to keep the air speed down. SpL is 107 db in the 13 - 20 hz range, plus room gain.

Green Line Text Slope Oscilloscope

Text Green Slope Line Plot

Text Green Line Technology Font

#5 ·
Thanks Mike,
That was what I was aiming for.

HPF... LPF... It's late - 10:30, I've had several glasses of a very nice hunter shiraz :neener:

Until I found this forum I hadn't realised that you could buy the "sonotubes" even though I had seen them on building sites. I must download the software and have a play.
Is there a height from the floor that they need to be based on driver size?

#12 ·
Update:
After phoning the hardware store and asking about cardboard Sonotubes they said they didn't have that brand but did have "form-a-tube" in 457 mm width, which I promptly ordered to be delivered.
Upon delivery the tube is made from 2 mm sheet metal! So I sent it back.
I phoned the Sonotube importers to find if there are any distributors close by and the closest is 2 1/2 hours away.
Did more searching and found a build using laminated ply. This looked promising so I did the calculations and it only gives a tube of 400 mm which means it would have to be 2.5 m long.

Back to the drawing board...

#13 ·
Ok, I'm going to try to make a tube fromlight guage MDF.
I figure a diameter of 470 mm or 18 odd inches should put me in the ballpark.

The thread I found using 3 sheets of 1.5 mm ply to make a thickness of 4.5 mm or 1/4" doesn't seem practical as "Mr Plywood" want's au$80.00 per sheet.

I am thinking of building it with three legs from floor to top of port and the MDF routed into slots running up the length of the tube with internal bracing to keep the shape.

#17 ·
The Sonosub calculator says that the main resonance is around 85 Hz and to add damping at the end.
I was wondering if I cut a circle out of the thin mdf and made a spiral in the tube at about 2/5ths the length if this would break up the resonance.
Has anyone tried this?

#26 ·
I attached the second panel today. In hindsight I should have glued two panels in the three legs and let them dry then attach all at the same time as it takes 24 hours for the "liquid nails" to set.
I have put a wad of eggcrate foam in the top to help with fundamental standing wave at ~85Hz.
Anyway it's looking good and going together better than I thought it would.
I may need to measure the distance for the last panel as the glue may take up a few mm in the circumference.
If all goes well tomorrow I should be able to test it by tuesday. :praying:

#27 ·
As expected there was a delay. I ran out of Liquid Nails, but that's another story, and bought another tube.
The first tube was water cleanup and set overnight, no problems.
The second tube was solvent based and with a bout of cold weather, and several days rain, didn't cure properly for three days.
Anyway, the woodwork is finished and looking good. I have started prepping it so I can undercoat and paint on the weekend.
I supressed the urge to drag it straight in the house and test it as that's where it would have stayed unfinished!

#30 ·
I drilled and test mounted the speaker connectors and filled the second "chamber" with acoustic fibre. This is more to stop things from falling onto the driver than anything acoustic.

Next I gave it two light coats of primer and then two coats of a colour called Arrowroot.

Next is to attach the Baseplate and Shiva.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.