Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
i wouldnt be offended if you dove more into the VTC/ATC of the tapped horn and the mounting of the driver in correlation to the baffle. i thought you just Zeroed all those fields out when doing TH's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i wouldnt be offended if you dove more into the VTC/ATC of the tapped horn and the mounting of the driver in correlation to the baffle. i thought you just Zeroed all those fields out when doing TH's.
Here is a better picture. I think I will stick it at the beginning instead of in the TH post, as it is the same with all horns.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
That is a lot of work put in right there....:coocoo::rubeyes:

Any of you out there wanting to try this program but not sure where to start, you no longer have an excuse.

What no 8th order BP example :bigsmile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Soho,

first of all many many thanks for your efforts! I've learned HR by your thread, so I must be thankful to you!

Excuse me if I don't write much correctly, but I'm from Italy, so it's not my mother language :innocent:

What I would like to know is (if it's allowed in HR) how can I simulate the use of more than one speaker in same box, placed one next to the other along the horn axis. I am designing some boxes using the Quasi-6th Order Series-Tuned BP simulation and I want to try to use two speakers instead of one. I guessed that if I build a twice big box, like two of them symmetrically opposed (clamshell style) I can just tell to HR that I am using two woofers, and double volumes and areas, but I think that using two woofers placed at different pathlenght from S1 should be a different movie...

Can you (or anybody else who have a clear idea about it) tell me something?

Thanks in advance, and keep it going like that!

Roberto

·
Registered
580 Posts
Number of drivers.JPG

Here you see the input screen.

The area called Nd is the place where you click two times and a box comes up. The box can be used to alter the number of drivers Hornresp calculates. The connections are series or parallel. Changing the number from one to two will tell Hornresp that there is a second driver. You know you have been successful when the ND box shows 2S or 2P.

The s stands for series connection.

The p stands for parallel connection.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Many thanks for reply.

BUT

my wondering is about this: if I have more woofers inside the box, and they are vertically lined like in this picture, I can, for sure, tell to HR the number of speakers (series + parallel eventually grouped), and giving the correct volumes and areas I then get the total response. This is "easy" to understand since we can split the box in smaller single-woofer ones, and consider the complete subwoofer box as a stack of them.
Every single box can be considered a "quasi 6th order bandpass" and simulated with HR.

Look at the image and then go to next post, since I have less than 5 posts and cannot use image gallery :foottap:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I have a box like the one in this picture, the response of the two woofers MUST be different one to each other, since they are not equally far from the back of the box!

This is the reason for my first question: when I build a box like that, the two woofers close to the back of the box are probably interfering with the two close to the mouth, since they will have not phase coherence.
We know that distances play a big role in tuning and so in FR and phase response of the box (system).

Or am I wrong, and I'm self-making a lot of caos in my brain for nothing?

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hornresp will automatically add the Sd values together according to the number of drivers that you specify. It will also correct the other driver values.

Any driver within a quarter wavelength of the frequency being reproduced that is beside another driver reproducing the same frequency will act acoustically as one lumped driver. Hornresp models this in the same manner. All the drivers surface areas are summed to become a super driver in surface area and relevant mechanical parameters.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am already having troubles to design such boxes, since they must then used inside cars! So after all the HR simulation I'll be involved in real life measuring and tuning, so I want to be as much accurate as possible in first designs steps, and then find a way to include vehicle environment's effects into calculations.

Thanks a lot to everyone who will give his opinion!

·
Registered
580 Posts
wave length calculator:

http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm

example 100 hz wavelength = 3,44 meters divide that by 4 to 1/4 you get 0,86 meters as long as your drivers are this close together or closer they act as one driver at this frequency and below.

Mark

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can say this with a great deal of confidence. If you model your box correctly, then build it as you modeled it you will end up with almost exactly what you modeled. I have been using Hornresp for over 6 years and building boxes for just as long. The simulations are very accurate.

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks again, Mark!

The doubt was coming out from building a Transflex subwoofer, where putting two speakers in-line made the response smoother because of in-phase/not-in-phase adding of the second woofer to the first one.
Given that I can model a Transflex easily with HR in TH mode, I was thinking that probably there must be a way to "tell" to the software the distances between the two drivers, and let him calculate the sum of the two emissions at the mouth of the "horn".

·
Registered
18 Posts
LAST question (it's a promise) is: have I to use, to calculate L23 in the "quasi 6th order bandpass", the distance from S2 to the middle point between drivers? (I mean between their axis)

21 - 40 of 71 Posts