Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
All experts will tell you the truth, that high contrast ratios and sustained viewing of static images will cause phosphors to age differentially. Plasmas have phosphors. The precise degree of "burn" is hard to predict and does vary with the age of the phosphors. You are much more likely to have noticeable aging in the first few hundred hours of use.

The frequency of having problems is not as great as it once was, particularly with properly calibrated displays. It is still possible, and more likely than many plasma proponents would believe, that users who use very high contrast ratios and leave static patterns in place will see lasting screen damage. I just recently saw a USA logo on a very new PDP.

Turn your contrast down and vary your viewing. Calibrate the set properly and don't worry too much about it, but be aware that if you watch the same patterns constantly you will age the phosphors in that pattern eventually. Just like CRTs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Folks- I'm brand spankin' new here :) I just ordered my first plasma - A Panasonic P50ST50 which should be arriving at my local Sears in the next few days. I'm doing my research and this thread was exactly what I needed. I've downloaded the slides and will have a thumbdrive soon. It looks like I need to format it to FAT32 for it to be read - and so I will be doing that s well.
My plan is to bring it home, power it up, slap the thumbrive in it and see if I can get the TV to read and display... and then just set it aside to work for... what? 5 or 6 days? Is it best to run the slides for at least 5 days before actually putting a blu-ray movie in? Is there a list of suggested settings by TV somewhere on this site?

Great to be here!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Folks- I'm brand spankin' new here :) I just ordered my first plasma - A Panasonic P50ST50 which should be arriving at my local Sears in the next few days. I'm doing my research and this thread was exactly what I needed. I've downloaded the slides and will have a thumbdrive soon. It looks like I need to format it to FAT32 for it to be read - and so I will be doing that s well.
My plan is to bring it home, power it up, slap the thumbrive in it and see if I can get the TV to read and display... and then just set it aside to work for... what? 5 or 6 days? Is it best to run the slides for at least 5 days before actually putting a blu-ray movie in? Is there a list of suggested settings by TV somewhere on this site?

Great to be here!
Yep... 6 days straight is recommended... about 150 hours... before anything else.

I am not sure about the suggested settings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What's up shacksters! Bought a new 50GT50 last week. It arrived last Sunday. T-minus two days and the break in period is over. The great thing about breaking a plasma in is that you can get it calibrated much sooner than an LCD (unless you ran that for over 100 hrs straight too). Since I can't display my bedroom setup due to space conditions in the signature, here it is:

Panasonic TC-P50GT50 PDP,Harman Kardon SB-16 soundbar w/subwoofer, Directv HR20 DVR, Sony BDP-550 Blu-Ray player, Toshiba A20 HD-DVD player, Sony Playstation 3 160GB (slim), Logitech Harmony remote 669

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well The break in period is over! I've tweaked the settings using both AVS as well as DVE. Unless blue is running especially hot and is causing the green and red to be off, then after getting blue correct and using tint to get green and red right, red is still off (This is in THX cinema mode). In custom, the colors are WAAAY off! Now that the break in has been completed, the next step is getting my man Ray Coronado (SoCal HT) down my way to calibrate this baby.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all,

Am new to this site and new to becoming a videophile (if that's correct).
Have been into audio (am most definitely an Audiophile) since the 70's.

I have a question about breaking in a Plasma TV. Our first Plasma ever was delivered last week.

My Panasonic has an Anti-Retention feature.
Can I use it as a break in tool?

Thank you in advance.

·
HTS Sponsor
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That would work well if it stayed on longer, ^^ but unfortunately it only runs for a few minuets. The best break-in is the solid RGB and White panels and let it run for 5 to 6 days.

-Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Robert... thanks for the reply.

I hear that. She'll only run 15 minutes per application.
I do it after every viewing session which in some cases is only 20-30 minutes. Very short viewing in the morning before heading to work and maybe 3-4 hours viewing at night after work.

I'm very cautious to not leave the channel being viewed on any ticker tape and channel logo channels.
Man those channel logos just tick me off! I've contacted my Direct TV provider and the channels themselves, their Logos) about my concerns with burn-in when it comes to Plasma TV's. So far... it's all fallen on deaf ears. I even started a small petition, to forward to the networks, that I distributed to immediate family and some friends who wouldn't think I'm not a total idiot.

On the weekend however, that's a different story.
I really enjoy this new Panasonic and I do take full advantage of that on the weekends. Making sure I do the 15 minute wipe afterwards. Religiously!

I'm a little, make that very, short on the tech savvy applications.
Is there any way, or anyplace, that I could buy one of those RGB & White Panel programs that's available for purchase on a disc?
I at least know how to put my players on repeat to play the disc continuously.

I apologize in advance if this is extremely basic to you but I am in the learning stage when it comes to video.

Skip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello - Also a newbie to this group and have just installed my new UT50 Saturday (G'Hog day). I've been reading these posts and have downloaded the slides. I realize the importance of the break-in, but we are watching our new TV since Saturday (~ 10 hours viewing time already). I read the post from 4/18/12 by Leonard Caillouet about intermittent calibration exercises, but am still not quite clear on how best to combine both operations. Our viewing habits so far are: a news program for an hour or so in the a.m., evening prime-time dramas for an hour or two. If someone could provide an example of when and how to squeeze the calibration slides in between our viewing I would really appreciate it.
Until I stumbled upon this thread I never knew the benefit of the calibration or that it was even possible or recommended (thanks Best Buy sales-person). I have to wonder if non-calibration had anything to do with losing our 2008 46" Vierra to what appears to be a power supply problem.
Thanks to all for your help.
Babio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone -- site looks great and helpful. I am a newbie.

I am a new Panasonic plasma P55VT50 owner as of yesterday, 2/18/13. I downloaded the 20 1080p images from the recommended web site as posted in this forum. Followed the great directions -- no problems with the memory stick in the USB port and using the Panasonic Viera Tools menu to get the slideshow going. The only problem is that I am completely mystified on the following, which is messing me up for using this slideshow.

In addition to the 20 viewable jpgs, I get 20 additional 'slides' that are completely unreadable on this TV. I do not see these unreadable slides on my MacBook Air nor on my digital photo frame -- I downloaded to my MBA twice, and I still get the problem. I thought I'd try the digital photo frame, and it displays the 20 color images perfectly without those extra unreadable files. As soon as I try the memory stick or an SD card on the TV, I end up with the problem.

e.g.:
good file (using the "I" for "info" button on the TV remote):
Name: slide01.-1080p-jpg
Date: -/-/-
Size: 1920x1080

"cannot read file"
Name: ._slide01-1080p.jpg
Size: ****X****

I understand WHY the TV cannot read these files, but I don't understand HOW they got there and why I cannot view these anywhere else to delete them. Of course, I cannot delete these from the TV (or if I can, I will need help on that).

Has anyone else seen this problem? How can I delete these unreadable "bonus" slides so I can loop the 20-image slide show? I don't want to have 20 black images with a small box of text as part of the loop.

Also: What speed should the slide show be run on?

I have been looping 80 vacation slides with "zoom" to fill the screen -- I have only one of these phantom unreadable slides in this folder, and I set the speed to fast. Have been running with that since around 8:30 last night except for some regular TV viewing for 90 minutes last night.

Thank you for any help and advice! Lynne

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi everyone -- site looks great and helpful. I am a newbie.

I am a new Panasonic plasma P55VT50 owner as of yesterday, 2/18/13. I downloaded the 20 1080p images from the recommended web site as posted in this forum. Followed the great directions -- no problems with the memory stick in the USB port and using the Panasonic Viera Tools menu to get the slideshow going. The only problem is that I am completely mystified on the following, which is messing me up for using this slideshow.

In addition to the 20 viewable jpgs, I get 20 additional 'slides' that are completely unreadable on this TV. I do not see these unreadable slides on my MacBook Air nor on my digital photo frame -- I downloaded to my MBA twice, and I still get the problem. I thought I'd try the digital photo frame, and it displays the 20 color images perfectly without those extra unreadable files. As soon as I try the memory stick or an SD card on the TV, I end up with the problem.

e.g.:
good file (using the "I" for "info" button on the TV remote):
Name: slide01.-1080p-jpg
Size: 1920x1080

"cannot read file"
Name: ._slide01-1080p.jpg
Size: ****X****

I understand WHY the TV cannot read these files, but I don't understand HOW they got there and why I cannot view these anywhere else to delete them. Of course, I cannot delete these from the TV (or if I can, I will need help on that).

Has anyone else seen this problem? How can I delete these unreadable "bonus" slides so I can loop the 20-image slide show? I don't want to have 20 black images with a small box of text as part of the loop.

Also: What speed should the slide show be run on?

I have been looping 80 vacation slides with "zoom" to fill the screen -- I have only one of these phantom unreadable slides in this folder, and I set the speed to fast. Have been running with that since around 8:30 last night except for some regular TV viewing for 90 minutes last night.

Thank you for any help and advice! Lynne
Hi Lynne,

Best of luck with your new HDTV, I have a professionally calibrated 55VT30 and still enjoy it very much every day. Every review I've read has said the VT50 easily beats out the VT30 in a number of key areas (black level & light output to name two).

Anyway, the problem you had with the slides is a common one that I've read about and experienced myself when I downloaded the slides onto my Mac. It must have something to do with Macs because every time I read about this issue, the person used a Mac to download the slides. Use a friend's PC if you can or one at work if you have one and its possible.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Robert,

Thanks a LOT! This is awesome, I'll me running my PD tonight. It's probably already fully broken in, but can't hurt to run clean slides once in a while. I usually run the 'anti-burn' moving white bars once a week on our Panasonic PD, not sure if necessary, but I like to make sure there are no artifacts forming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Lynne,

Best of luck with your new HDTV, I have a professionally calibrated 55VT30 and still enjoy it very much every day. Every review I've read has said the VT50 easily beats out the VT30 in a number of key areas (black level & light output to name two).

Anyway, the problem you had with the slides is a common one that I've read about and experienced myself when I downloaded the slides onto my Mac. It must have something to do with Macs because every time I read about this issue, the person used a Mac to download the slides. Use a friend's PC if you can or one at work if you have one and its possible.
Hi mvision7m,

Thanks for the tip -- I had a weird hunch it might be Apple....rather new to Apple, too (overall happy, sometimes frustrated). We luckily still have 2 old Windows laptops that still work, so I will try another download. I will also append to the Apple forums and/or call Apple support on this because it is rather ridiculous. What if I didn't have a non-Mac to try this with?

I will post results here.

Thanks, Lynne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mvision7m,

Thanks for the tip -- I had a weird hunch it might be Apple....rather new to Apple, too (overall happy, sometimes frustrated). We luckily still have 2 old Windows laptops that still work, so I will try another download. I will also append to the Apple forums and/or call Apple support on this because it is rather ridiculous. What if I didn't have a non-Mac to try this with?

I will post results here.

Thanks, Lynne
I booted up my old Lenovo laptop and inserted the memory stick. I was able to see those funky ._ files that were showing up on the Panasonic plasma TV but not on my MacBook Air nor my digital photo frame. I was able to delete the ._ files and now I am looping the 20 1080p images on my TV.

I will definitely be getting in touch with Apple to ask about these files since it messes things up in general for looping any slide show of photos -- I deleted all the ._ files that were on the memory stick. More confusing, it was inconsistent -- in some folders, all the jpgs had the matching ._ files, some folders had only a few, and some folders of photos had none. Not sure I know the pattern yet.

Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I booted up my old Lenovo laptop and inserted the memory stick. I was able to see those funky ._ files that were showing up on the Panasonic plasma TV but not on my MacBook Air nor my digital photo frame. I was able to delete the ._ files and now I am looping the 20 1080p images on my TV.

I will definitely be getting in touch with Apple to ask about these files since it messes things up in general for looping any slide show of photos -- I deleted all the ._ files that were on the memory stick. More confusing, it was inconsistent -- in some folders, all the jpgs had the matching ._ files, some folders had only a few, and some folders of photos had none. Not sure I know the pattern yet.

Thanks again for the tip!
No worries. Glad you were able to work it out and get the slides working. Great TV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those unreadable files on your USB drive are actually Mac OS "desktop" files. I ran into the same situation. Just keep hitting the "Ok" button to scroll through the individual files or, as you've done, format the USB drive on a Windows machine.

I'm a plasma newbie too, and almost burned my TC-P60UT50 with the "Fox News" logo. I just ignored how much these plasmas need some TLC while new. But thankfully I was able to return the UT to Best Buy and exchanged for a TC-P60GT50. Awesome images! And yes I am breaking in with the slides. I'm also using the "Pixel Jogger". Anyone have any thoughts about that break in video? :huh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've been reading up on using Evangilos slides to break in my panny 65" VT50. Question is, I assume the following slideshow settings:

Frame: Off
Photo Effect: Off
Transition Effect: Off
Photo Size: Normal
Burst Playback: Off
Display Interval: Slow
Repeat Playback: On

·
Registered
10 Posts
Often when watching longer than 5-6 hours of a television program to receive the imprint of the logo / burn / and 'footprint' is because phosphorus is outdated uneven. In the case of the logo, it is steady, and the rest of the panel -> where is stood logo phosphorus is more outdated. Printing is more pronounced in the early hours of the tv-it (200), because then, phosphorus ages most intense. After this aging process slows down and hence reduces the chance for the fingerprint. White / because of the intensity of the color / prints the most.

In the early Plasma TVs tended to "burn" on the screen. This problem has largely been eliminated in the new models, thanks to built-in safety systems against the "burn" / Automatic reduction of contrast over a period of time / phosphoric and improved technology. Otherwise GAME mod there, but also to change the picture settings and you count how many times you play (every 30 minutes a message appears), nothing else does.

All modes in which determined the same part of the screen remains lighter or darker than the rest is a prerequisite for this effect. There was often music channels before start using translucent and moving logos for devices working in restaurants.

Manufacturer does not accept defects as a guarantee! Will not reimburse or replace the panel or labor technique.

Pixel orbiter - a security feature of the burn. It makes sense to hold on for any content or conditions of examination. This function is constantly slightly moving picture in different countries (to a few pixels), which allows to avoid IR. Does not work during THX! There was a post here that its use in game mode nothing is printed menus, etc. This is the severest test. There is another function skrollbar (screen wipe), including with the OK button, but it makes sense to be used in serious damage.
Protection from burning, PIXEL ORBITER appears as an option only when you run the signal from other sources over HDMI). Via DLNA and USB there is no such option in the settings.

Package picture (toppings) for the development of the screen.
http://tvcalibration.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/BreakIn_Images.zip

Development technology is simple, just save salad of USB media and play them as a slide show with the built image software the TV it. It does not matter how much time will change slides. These pictures are placed in the first days of operation of the TV until 200 hours. No matter if you play them in a flash drive or DLNA.
After 100-200 hours of such development, you will get the most stable in its characteristics Plasma panel remains to calibrate it and enjoy it.

Settings for the first 200 hours of development after purchasing.
Attention during this risk period, the TV should be watched more than two hours in the following cases:
- Do not look at the dynamic picture mode
- Do not look picture in other than 16:9,
- With black bars top and bottom
- On the same television channel, a logo thereon
- Display any static image for longer than this period.
- Should not be used as a computer monitor or Blu-ray player!
- It should not be used as a game screen for more than 30 min
- Avoid using the Wallpaper / use Screensaver - one is static and the other is dynamic (moving)

Rules to avoid Image Retention
1. Do not increase kotrasta picture more than 50%.
2. When watching TV in a bright logo - change the program every 2 hours.
3. If possible, use key aspect of the picture, so give Zuum1 the logo to go beyond the boundaries of the screen.
4. Avoid looking picture with black bars on the sides / top longer than 3-4 hours.
5. Do not use your plasma TV as a monitor for games longer than 1 hour per day.
6. Menu - Settings - Other Settings - Automatic standby - 2 hours
Thus, if the TV does not operate with the remote / or exit sleep / turns off itself after 2 hours.
7. Do the following and setting the black level of the black bars on the sides of the picture
Menu - Settings - Display Settings - Side Panel - Medium

Current status of the display you can check in the following way:
In a totally dark room
Menu - Picture - Panel - off
In this mode, turn off the signal to the display, but the display itself remains in standby mode - with minimal stress.
You look around the screen for bright areas.

How to check for screen burn?
Burned-screen is noticeably plasma screens when showing pure white paintings. Burned areas are a little darker than their neighboring areas.
1. Clean the screen with a dry clean cloth.
2. Click on the link and choose to open the white box.
JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and image persistence
3. Press F11 to enable full screen mode or window slowly stretch the edges of the screen.
4. Mirror screen carefully where dark spots are visible.
If you find dark spots, use JScreenFix Deluxe to reduce screen burn and prevent future splits.
http://www.jscreenfix.com/deluxe.php

Plasma TV Logo Removing DVD - fix burn-in pixels
http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/plasmatv/

Image retention - Green edition
http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/97122-anti-IR-green-edition-2012
http://www.avclub.gr/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=100

http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/54775-antiIR-(anti-image-retention)-mpeg-for-plasma-screens
http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/90629-Plasma-noise-1080p-DXVA-mp4

This is a program to fix a block of pixels for LCD TV or plasma screens burned
http://www.whitecitysoft.com/sx/screenfix/

Image Retention Test
http://www.plasmadisplaycoalition.org/results/image.php
http://www.plasmadisplaycoalition.org/main.php

Settings for the first 200 hours
Picture Mode - halved brightness and contrast!!
Mode - Profesional1 / THX mode is not possible to change the parameter Pixel Orbiter feature - stand your Auto / (Mode - Profesional 1 and THX mode it is only in the VT series and GT! If you have a model ST or lower your run CINEMA mode )
Aspect of the picture - Auto
16:9 Scan - off / if you have black bars on the side plug
Eco Mode - off
P-NR - off / it is useless to run the filter for P-NR noise of a digital signal. All he does is blur and without smearing the image.
Vivid - off.
Sharpness <5
Settings - other settings - FFD (in older models - Intelligent Frame Creation) - off / not needed - the picture becomes as amateur video /.
Do not touch anything in the settings - will only worsen the picture!
/ during 200 hours videopanel slowly increases its brightness /

21 - 40 of 96 Posts