Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
that room would be worth the cost of admission to just inspect all the equipment and then listen top it,,

talk about a love of audio,, bet that would blow the shirt off your back,,

Derry

·
Registered
790 Posts
Those Magico's are one of the few high-high-end speakers that actually look like they have really loud bass (basshead here).
Funny how when people look at (the same) something they see different things. I used to own a horn system with a similar midbass horn, except mine was folded into an L shape as I didn't have the room depth. My first though was 'no way a single direct radiator 15" will keep up with the rest of that system'.

Also, wayyy wayyy back in this thread, back at post #2, with those Stradavari's... those are some of the nicest looking speakers I've ever seen. Ever.
This I agree with. Those SF's are really very beautiful and are the aesthetic inspiration for a future build of mine.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Those Magico's are one of the few high-high-end speakers that actually look like they have really loud bass (basshead here).

Also, wayyy wayyy back in this thread, back at post #2, with those Stradavari's... those are some of the nicest looking speakers I've ever seen. Ever.
What is it that you guys like about those Stradavari's? They seem very...complicated. I am naturally drawn toward simplistic aesthetics when it comes to speaker design. That is what I love about the Boston Acoustic Classic Series speakers; you can't get more basic than that.

(In fact, I liked them so much I just went out and bought a pair):D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Seeing what is out there just makes me feel good knowing at least I have a room and a system to listen to. I could never even imagine spending that kind of dough on the cables alone. Crazy people in this world!

·
Registered
790 Posts
What is it that you guys like about those Stradavari's? They seem very...complicated.
Speaking only for myself, I love the wide baffle look, the lower baffle step and diffraction. If you have ever seen an SF speaker in the flesh, they are very beautiful and the craftsmanship is not in question. The design and choice of materials and their application in the design makes these one of the very best looking speakers I have ever seen.

One of my first DIY efforts involved a wide baffle line source modelled loosely around the Infinity IRS and big Genesis designs from the 80's. narrow baffle speakers are more common today for a simple reason - they are easier to sell as they are easier to integrate into the typical multi purpose living areas where most people listen or watch movies.

I am naturally drawn toward simplistic aesthetics when it comes to speaker design. That is what I love about the Boston Acoustic Classic Series speakers; you can't get more basic than that.

(In fact, I liked them so much I just went out and bought a pair):D
Most speakers are built as simple boxes because they are easy and cheap to build, not necessarily because they perform best. I find them mostly boring looking.

^^^ I am only speaking for myself and not commenting upon anyone else's taste or choices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feel that all of my speakers fall into the Rare, weird, unusual, amazing and/or interesting...category:
Frontspeakers:
Carlsson oa51.3+ 2pcs 10" Aurasound subwoofers @80Hz 24db LR per side

surroundspeakers
Sonab OA-116

(Two pairs under renovation, made in 1976)

Current project:
"The Two-Way"

potential to be really really good!
Sounds better than it looks :)

probably weird,rare and interesting for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Talk about great sound dispersion—I bet those Sonab OA-116 speakers put sound in every square inch of that room.
And it sounds great to!
There is no sweetspot rather a sweetfield, perfect lounge speaker.
Moonwalks over Beolab 5 any day of the week!

And my bedroom speaker:
Sonab OD-11, is better than much! Made a person who owns some €2500 focal speakers drop his jaw!:flex:
Then I shifted gear and let him listen to OA116 and he started to look uncomfortable :boxer:
and finally i went in for the kill with the OA51.3 and the 4 bassmodules :paddle::devil:
He turned red an just sat there with an open mouth :yikes:
it was a good day!
They dont look as good as they are, thats for sure!

He was very willing to let me visit him and listen to his focal system before we started listening...
Still waiting for the invitation :heehee:

If you want to read more about theese speakers:
http://www.carlssonplanet.com

A9X:
The Sonab OA-5 mark 2, is not in the same league.
They were constructed in the 60:s. The woofer has a linear xmax of ~1mm!
the oa-12,14,116,2212 were made in the 70:s

oa5 was originally a mono speaker while the ones i post about is stereospeakers.
They have quite different sound and spl capabilities... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
And it sounds great to!
There is no sweetspot rather a sweetfield, perfect lounge speaker.
Moonwalks over Beolab 5 any day of the week!

And my bedroom speaker:
Sonab OD-11, is better than much! Made a person who owns some €2500 focal speakers drop his jaw!:flex:
Then I shifted gear and let him listen to OA116 and he started to look uncomfortable :boxer:
and finally i went in for the kill with the OA51.3 and the 4 bassmodules :paddle::devil:
He turned red an just sat there with an open mouth :yikes:
it was a good day!
They dont look as good as they are, thats for sure!

He was very willing to let me visit him and listen to his focal system before we started listening...
Still waiting for the invitation :heehee:

A9X:

oa5 was originally a mono speaker while the ones i post about is stereospeakers.
Thats great:rofl: they must sound great just take up some room if there was any down side, but worth it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I still think the KlipschHorns are a weird looking speaker...but very elegant as well.

I almost bought a pair a few years back. When I was scrubbing carpets I had a customer who insisted we come in through the garage since we were only doing the basement. I go out to open the garage door and staring me in the face is a pair of mint condition Khorns.

I asked her about them...she said they were her late husbands but she had the movers leave them in the garage when she came to this house because she hated the way they looked. I asked her how much she wanted for them and she said $80!

I told her I'd come back after work and pay her for them.

I called her to see if she was home when I was on the way home and she said she had called her brother and he said he wanted them instead so she was just going to give them to him.

So close!

I think the new wilson audio speakers look kind of weird, but they are fully adjustable...and they sound great!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
It's the stuff on this thread to why i didn't renew my subscription to stereophile. It got me thinking of to many bad ways to obtain that kind of equipment (sell house,cars,clothes, shoes, kids.) ( just kidding on the kid thing.............well maybe).LOL :rofl::R:devil:

·
Registered
790 Posts

A9X:

Have to post this for A9X
There is a new version out of the OA5, the OA5 type 3, launched in 2009.
http://www.carlssonplanet.com/oa5iii.php?lang=sv
filter and new tweeter config
http://www.hifikit.se/files/carlsson_2.pdf

new woofer:
http://www.hifikit.se/index.php?id=2726
new tweeter:
http://www.hifikit.se/index.php?id=2725
Constructed by the man who constructs the Guru pro audio speakers.

You will probably want to keep them after the upgrade ;)
The new driver links bring up "The page cannot be found".

However, I doubt I will be keeping them. I do not like the style of presentation at all and much rather have controlled directivity. Never hear any type of omni/dipole of any type that appealed to me, but I can still see why some people like them, just not this little black duck.

It's the stuff on this thread to why i didn't renew my subscription to stereophile. It got me thinking of to many bad ways to obtain that kind of equipment (sell house,cars,clothes, shoes, kids.) ( just kidding on the kid thing.............well maybe).LOL :rofl::R:devil:
I got an electronic subscription to Sphile for this year, and so far there has been so little of interest (JBL Array 1400 excepted), let alone lust inducing that I doubt I'll bother spending the $10 to renew subscription next year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
search the site for
Obi F87
obi T22
if you want to see them atleast.

the oa5 is roughly 45 years old, it would be depressing if it still was on par with better Hifi systems in a n nonupgraded fashion.... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please let me know if you want to dispose of the OA5s in Aus as I could be interested in the boxes. I imagine the cone surrounds on both the Philips drivers and Peerless tweeters would have turned to dust a couple of decades ago. Sadly, exact (or even close) replacement speakers are virtually impossible to source, but it's possible (but not very easy) to re-foam the twin-cone drivers.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts