Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting article. I set up a blind comparison between Dirac and Audyssey and got significantly different results.

You can read all of the details HERE. Summary: We did not use the same SSP platform but the levels were IDENTICALLY matched. We built a switching device out of commercially available products that could handle up to 8 channels. We compared both 2.1 and 7.1. The switcher and person operating it was in another room so it was blind. A VERY important observation that was noted in this blind comparison as well as some sighted testing on another system: Trying to exactly match the Audyssey Target curve (in Audyssey Pro) to the Dirac curve made Audyssey sound very unnatural. The reverse (trying to match the Dirac target to the standard Audyssey target) was a serious compromise to Dirac. We also tried to develop targets to match the two corrected FR's as close as possible.

When letting both systems use their recommended targets, it was not even close: every part of the Dirac based solution was far superior to the Audyssey based comparion. We previously did a blind compare of Dirac Live from a PC music server through the same platform (Integra) running Audyssey. We switched off Audyssey when Dirac was running and switched of Dirac when Audyssey was running. Same results: Dirac was far superior.

Clearly, YMMV !!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Time to revive an old thread....

With the Audyssey app has anyone re-did the comparisons?
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/upgrades/audysseymulteqeditorapp
  • View the speaker detection results, to check correct installation.
  • View before and after results of the Audyssey calibration, making it easy to identify room problems.
  • Edit the Audyssey target curve for each channel pair to suit your tastes.
  • Adjust the EQ frequency adjustment range for each channel pair.
  • Switch between 2 high frequency rolloff target curves.
  • Enable/Disable midrange compensation to make the vocal region brighter or smoother.
  • Save and load calibration results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Time to revive an old thread....

With the Audyssey app has anyone re-did the comparisons?
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/upgrades/audysseymulteqeditorapp
  • View the speaker detection results, to check correct installation.
  • View before and after results of the Audyssey calibration, making it easy to identify room problems.
  • Edit the Audyssey target curve for each channel pair to suit your tastes.
  • Adjust the EQ frequency adjustment range for each channel pair.
  • Switch between 2 high frequency rolloff target curves.
  • Enable/Disable midrange compensation to make the vocal region brighter or smoother.
  • Save and load calibration results.
I would be interested in this as well. That app needs work but it gives you some control. Editing of the target curve though is virtually impossible as it is limited to awkward, imprecise finger moves on a coarse graph. This needs to be completely re-done.

Also, FYI...Dirac is now available in a reasonably priced AVR from NAD! The T758 v3. Lists for only $1300! wish I would have known about it before I bought my Denon X3400H! (which I am generally happy with nonetheless)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am hoping for a little advice on how I should get started with a Dirac Live product. I am a 2 channel listener without a sub. I have dipole speakers with on outboard crossover that requires a multi-channel amp that powers each driver individually. I mostly like to access my music via a sonos controller (I also have a squeezebox but switched to the Sonos because I have a second Sonos system outside my main listening room and Sonos allows me to switch back and forth between systems). I most often listens to music streamed via the Sonos app from Deezer, Spotify or Pandora. I have a headless Mac Mini and Amarra with my music collection also, but I rarely access this way because the Sonos controller is so much easier to use. My Classe CP-800 has a DAC with a 192 sample rate and 5 EQ filters per channel for what it’s worth.

I would like a solution that I can attach my various sources to that doesn’t require playback to come only from my computer. It looks like the 2 channel miniDSP is a good way to go, but I wanted to know if there were other choices anyone might recommend, please?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I don't know about Dirac as I haven't tried it yet, but I found that with XT32, in some cases you can improve the dips a lot by playing with the crossover point. For example, in one case, Audyssey set the XO to 60 Hz. After some trial an error, I found it much better at 110 Hz for 0-120 Hz, but 100 Hz got me the best overall result. The editor seems promising but I have not tried editing yet. In my first couple of trails, I got better result running it directly from the AVR.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Wow, that NAD is a steal... could easily be used as a preamp for a little more than a Dirac 88, plus does more channels!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Wow, that NAD is a steal... could easily be used as a preamp for a little more than a Dirac 88, plus does more channels!
Yowza!
DiracLive plus.............................
7.1-channel preamp outputs
7.1-channel preamp inputs
7 speaker outputs(Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
All for $1300!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yowza!
DiracLive plus.............................
7.1-channel preamp outputs
7.1-channel preamp inputs
7 speaker outputs(Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
All for $1300!
Actually, 11.1 channel preamp out (for 7.1.4 Atmos), and Dirac on all 12 channels. Pretty amazing deal really.

·
Registered
868 Posts
^^ Sure, fair enough. Just pointing it out for the benefit of all, since I myself was under the impression for some time that this unit only had 8-channel processing.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts