Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wouldn't a ½" round over bit work as well? Doing one side at the time..
No, the flare is 1" radius, it's 1" deep and just over 1 1/4" wide.
I mounted it on the tube as the guide so it's as close as you can get to being seamless.
I am going to run a 3/8" around the outside top as well.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I attached the second panel today. In hindsight I should have glued two panels in the three legs and let them dry then attach all at the same time as it takes 24 hours for the "liquid nails" to set.
I have put a wad of eggcrate foam in the top to help with fundamental standing wave at ~85Hz.
Anyway it's looking good and going together better than I thought it would.
I may need to measure the distance for the last panel as the glue may take up a few mm in the circumference.
If all goes well tomorrow I should be able to test it by tuesday. :praying:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As expected there was a delay. I ran out of Liquid Nails, but that's another story, and bought another tube.
The first tube was water cleanup and set overnight, no problems.
The second tube was solvent based and with a bout of cold weather, and several days rain, didn't cure properly for three days.
Anyway, the woodwork is finished and looking good. I have started prepping it so I can undercoat and paint on the weekend.
I supressed the urge to drag it straight in the house and test it as that's where it would have stayed unfinished!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I drilled and test mounted the speaker connectors and filled the second "chamber" with acoustic fibre. This is more to stop things from falling onto the driver than anything acoustic.

Next I gave it two light coats of primer and then two coats of a colour called Arrowroot.

Next is to attach the Baseplate and Shiva.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The wife came home and said "it looks like an over sized water heater. You can put it back in the shed" .....
It would be a skinny water heater. The overall design looks great. Wives are predicable though. They don't like too many things that are large and odd-looking in their living room.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wives are predicable though. They don't like too many things that are large and odd-looking in their living room.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Are you having a go at me? :paddle:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If I have this right, you didn't get a single piece tube, but bended a couple sheets of laminate around the circular bracing? If that's the case, I hope the edges of the laminate are sealed extremely well.....it wouldn't be cool to go to all that work and then end up with air leaks, ruining the tuning and output :no:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
If I have this right, you didn't get a single piece tube, but bended a couple sheets of laminate around the circular bracing? If that's the case, I hope the edges of the laminate are sealed extremely well.....it wouldn't be cool to go to all that work and then end up with air leaks, ruining the tuning and output :no:
That's right. Three seperate pieces glued and screwed to the braces and endcaps.
I ran a bead of liquid nails down the lengths of the legs before forcing each piece in.

After it was alltogether I then ran a bead of "No More Gaps" down the outside of the legs were the panels slot in and around top and bottom endcaps. Probably overkill but better to be sure.
Now I just have to figure out why my Pioneer isn't outputting the sub signal.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Now that I have a signal on the sub out I watched Master & Commander again.
Some of the cannon shots had the couch vibrating. Very impressive for a single twelve inch driver. :bigsmile:
I will have to match the levels and check I have the phase right and measure the port output to check it is as designed.

Thanks to all who helped, specially MikeP for design confirmation and help.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts