Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well I installed the Noctua Fan in yesterday it is soe much more quiet.. I was going to check the db level but forgot. I think this mod will do..

I also want to point out you need to use the old plug on the old fan as the Noctuas plug is too bit and fits real loosly..I would reccoemnd just snipping off the old plug and putting it in the noctua fan.. but make sure the fan works before snipping the plug..
EDIT It was not Gaskets but 2 wires with a resistor inline..

·
Registered
80 Posts
NU6000 will NOT work fanless, NU3000 yes.

I now have over a year of using two different NU3000 fanless (not continuously) and have had no known faults from no-fan operation (other than thermal protects when pushed too hard). Ever curious, and wanting a no shut down solution for my home audio system, I have tried the NU6000. After much experimentation, I am sure that it will not work with no fan at all. I tried it without, with cover. Right side up, left, right side, upside down. In all cases, it will shutdown after about 15 minutes even at idle. Over at diyaudio, someone recommended this fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226033&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

It took a little trial and error to figure out the wiring. But I'm amazed how quiet the NU6000 is with two of these in place of the stock helicopters :)

I have been won over to the quiet fan side, at least when stubborn no-fan experimentation failed.

I'm sure that airflow is lower than stock, so it stands to reason that it won't cool or put out as much power as stock...but it is perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you don't have acces to soldering tools could you just twist the wires together and electrical tape them??? I plan on buying a inuke 1000 and my amp/receiver is pretty close to the listening area, and with all the complaints about the loud fan I will definitely be changing mine out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Twisting wires and electrical tape? That is even below Soldermizer''s already-low standards :neener:

Of course it will work...certainly is OK for experimentation. Perhaps you can borrow a soldering iron?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you don't have acces to soldering tools could you just twist the wires together and electrical tape them??? I plan on buying a inuke 1000 and my amp/receiver is pretty close to the listening area, and with all the complaints about the loud fan I will definitely be changing mine out.
I'm in the twisted wire and electrical tape gang lol. Works ok.

What's the general consensus same orientation as original or sucking air out the back?

Mines enclosed in cabinet with a big gap at back of cabinet that would allow air to escape upwards. I'm guessing for me sucking out the back would be better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ha nice to here your doing ok with the tape. I found some liquid solder the other day and might try that. It's a liquid metal compound that dries very quickly and sets in hours and apparently dries and bonds metals. But I may just stick with the easier route. We'll see whenever I get the amp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
An update: the NU6000 sttarted to reset, after several weeks of use. Problem MAY have been due to dust in the unit. The NU6000 cooling is under the PCB, an area difficult to vacuum out. So I washed the NU6000 with sprayer in the sink, then dried in the hot sun and for good measure,30 mnutes in a 170 degree (F) oven. This alone may have cleared the problem. But seized by the urge to experiment more, I reversed the fans and improvised duct work out of card board and tape to direct air from the front lower louver under the PCB. The top louver is sealed with tape. Unit is working fine as before, with no shut-downs. I expect that dust may continue to be a problem. It is remarkable the abuse these iNukes will take at the hands of demented hobbyists!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just recently bought a NU3000dsp from Amazon for a price too good to resist. Anyhow, as discussed, the fan is too loud for HT use so I swapped out the oem for one of these, which incidentally I now see was recommended in post #9.

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/113

During the installation I noted that at idle the unit was only supplying 9.7V to the fan and the Stealth fan is almost silent, maybe too silent and not delivering enough air. I'm wondering if that with the low idle fan voltage the unit doesn't vary the fan speed as needed. If this inuke varies the speed, I think everything will be fine; if not I'm not sure this fan will suffice under heavy load.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The heatsink, if you can call it that, closest to the front of the amplifier was getting pretty hot with the Vantec Stealth fan, so out of concern that it just wasn't pushing enough air I switched it out for an old Antec PC fan I had lying around. The noise level is now somewhere between the stock fan and the Stealth.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not sure if it was stated before and I just missed it, but I confirmed today that the NU3000dsp does indeed vary the speed of its fan. I was demoing a little WOTW and the BMG and after some heavy segments I'd pause and could definitely hear the fan slow down.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Adding heatsinks to the power MOSFETs inside the amp would also help protect the amp from overheating and going into protection. Heatsinks would also get more use out of the fan you added due to more air turbulence and surface area, and make the amp would ride through high power transients better since the additional thermal mass wouldn't heat up instantly. If you are worried your quiet fan isn't cooling enough consider taking it another step.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Here's how I did my iNuke NU3000DSP / NU3000 fan mod. I doubled up heatsinks on the transistors in the output stage, and added heatsinks ($12 for a pack of 16) to the power supply heat spreaders since they got pretty hot to the touch during normal operation since they get much less direct air flow. The stock NU3000 fan is a powerful 12Vdc and 0.4A, rated for 4000rpm/55cfm/41dB. I replaced it with a 0.16A 2000 RPM 32cfm quiet fan ($6), which seems to do fine in my initial testing. I also added a 3-pin adapter so I can swap to another standard fan in the future if needed. The amp definitely throttles the fan up and down, but I can't tell if it is load or thermally regulated.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 138 Posts